Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Trials of Piersyn Wyne, Part 6

Today I visited every corner of the market square trying to get an idea of the types of supplies I might need for my journey to the Blue Mountains. I picked up some traveling rations, some light tools, and several other necessities, so I am off to a good start. The problem I keep running into is money: no one who joins the Watch does so in order to get rich, I can tell you, so I am not sure if I will be able to fund my little trip. I don't have much skill as a hunter, either, so food is going to be a key consideration.

I also popped into the Three Farrow Crafting Hall and spoke with the Master of Apprentices to get his opinion on what one might need on such a journey. He was overly curious about my leaving, but that is Bree-folk for you. He did give me some ideas, but he kept trying to convince me to learn some craft or other. "All the great adventurers know at least one craft," he kept saying. "How else do you think they know how to make their own clothes to fend off the cold? Or craft a bow from a yew branch to catch game? Or properly cook that game in the midst of the Wild? Mercy me! Children, these days!" I finally agreed to let him teach me about forestry. This was a ruse, of course: I was bred in Combe, which has the finest lumber yard in all of the northern world, so he didn't end up teaching me much, but it did silence him and allow me to get on about my work.

I think I am getting close to the start of my own adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment