Wednesday, May 16, 2018

The Adventures of Elladan's Outriders -- Episode 65

The Wilds of Enedwaith

Sunday, 23rd of Afterlithe, Year 1417 Shire-reckoning
Somewhere in the Land of Enedwaith
One of the Shadow-wolves of Enedwaith
The howling wind woke us all quite early as branches creaked and cracked in the gale. A fierce wind was blowing down from the North, driving all the clouds in the overcast sky before them with the threat of rain. As I collected my belongings (or tried to, as several of them kept getting blown away), I hoped the day would not be a wet one.

Breakfast was little more than a biscuit or two while standing amidst the ruins of Echad Mirobel while saying our farewells to Maegamiel, leader of the Elves in that place. He thanked us many times for our assistance in the defeat of the half-orcs the day before, but was disappointed that he could tell us nothing more about their aims or purposes.

"I know naught of these half-breeds," said Maegamiel in disgust, "Save that their coming to Eregion heralds nothing good for me and my people. I hope very much that our efforts against them yesterday will serve as a deterrent to any others which may seek to harry our lands."

"Maintain your vigilance, good Maegamiel," Gaelira told him, "I fear that more evil things than these may be nigh to you, though as yet we know them not."

The Elves watched somberly as we headed south from the ruins in which they had made their homes. The Sun was now fully in the heavens, but the cloud cover remained and this caused the day to be comfortably cool, though the wind would still gust at times. Following an ancient road, we turned this way and that before fording a deep stream. Lagodir was kind enough to allow me to cross while astride his broad shoulders, though he mocked me lightly for refusing to learn how to swim.

Once ashore on the far side, occasional drops of rain began falling, so it was decided we would break for lunch under a nearby clump of ash-trees and see what the weather meant to do. As I absent-mindedly munched some cram in the midst of the howling wind, my thoughts began to wander. What were the half-orcs doing so close to Mirobel? What was the meaning of the black wolf-hides we found everywhere amidst their camp? Had Elrond or Malkan found any trace of Minasse since our departure from Rivendell? And what did Gaelira hope to learn from her mysterious informant in Dunland, to whose abode we were now headed? Finally, what of Inar and the Seekers of the Seven Stars? Were we being hunted even now?

I broke from my reverie and looked around. The faces of my companions were glum and downcast, probably because of the grey and depressing weather. Still, I had been on the road with that bunch long enough to know a great deal about them just from each person's demeanor, so I opened my eyes (as it were) and peered a bit closer.

To the casual onlooker Lagodir would have appeared subdued, even unhappy. But I who had come to know him even in the depths of his life's greatest trials thus far knew that he was in fact lighter of spirit than he had been since we first met. He had lost some of his hulking strength from those days, but his sinews remained hard and his will unbroken. In his eyes I saw both persistence and a renewed sense of purpose.

Drodie might also seem depressed to some, but that would be the mistake of an observer less well acquainted with him than I. He was merely bored -- absent any foe against which to test his will and enhance his glory, he saw little point in doing much else. As he slowly drew a whetstone across the curved edge of his axe, I saw his eyes sparkling with imaginary duels fought and adversaries vanquished. There was no need to be concerned for him.

Nephyn was another matter: our Company is often a quiet lot while on the road (particularly of late, under threat of being followed), but Nephyn could always be counted on to lighten our mood. Today, however, it was as though all power of speech had been taken from her. Even when directly addressed she had done little more than nod or shake her head in response, and I was growing worried for her. I wondered if perhaps the fact that we were headed directly for Dunland (that region being the birth-place of one of her missing parents, you may remember) might have had something to do with this. I could only guess at what sorts of thoughts might be racing through her mind as we marched south.

And then there was Gaelira. She was standing, as she often did, with her staff in hand and her sword at her belt. The wind would whip her raiment and her hair about wildly when it stirred, but she was the same rock I had always known her to be. And yet, despite her solid and determined nature, I could see her eyes searching the horizon -- many questions resounded inside that keen mind to which she had not the answers. I saw in her a sort of metaphor for our entire Company: strong, resolute, and true, yet ever in doubt because of the untiring winds that threaten to overturn us. Those winds are wild and dangerous, blowing from sources unseen and with purposes that we cannot discern, but still our loyalty to each other keeps us on our feet and always moving toward the fulfillment of our quest.

And then a thought flashed into my mind: what now was our quest? For the longest time our goal had been the recovery of the palantir held by Mordirith in Carn Dum. Gaelira had selflessly pledged herself to the recovery and use of that crystal, but now the relic was now lost to us, by all accounts; seized by Amarthiel, as the new regent of Angmar when our plans went so horribly wrong in the North. Since then, our fates had seemed to become interwoven with so many other places and things: Mallacai, Inar, Guloth, Amarthiel, Elrond, Minasse, and others. It was all become rather confusing and I suddenly wondered how long our Company might stick together, if we should lose a common purpose.

But then, as if from outside my own mind, came an image of Luean. Not as I had last seen him, cruelly hewn in the dirt and rubble which littered the floors of Tham Mirdain, but rather in the fullness of life, smiling, and exploring the wide world that he loved. I felt my will hardening within me. We owed our friend that, at least: to find the reason for his murder and bring his killer or killers to justice. The discovery of Inar's message near his body had inspired us to examine the possibility that the Seekers were somehow involved, and that was why Gaelira was leading us away from Eriador but toward her friend in Dunland -- in the hopes that we might learn something of value there. Friendship demanded that we unravel this mystery once and for all.

"Padryc!"

Jolted from my thoughts, I saw it was Drodie speaking to me.

"Are you going to eat our entire store of cram before noon? I thought you hated the stuff?" I suddenly realized I had continued eating absent-mindedly all that time. Sheepishly, I put the food away and wondered aloud whether it was time we were moving on.

The rain never materialized though the weather remained grey and drear. At this point we were hemmed between a rise of steep hills to the west (our right) and the river to the east (our left), so we continued due south between the two. We covered many more miles before halting again. It was not yet dusk, though the sky was just beginning to turn orange, but we were all tired and miserable because the damp air never allowed us to properly dry ourselves after wading through the river (in this situation, I was better off than my companions, having not gotten wet much at all above the ankles, thanks to Lagodir's generous offer). As a result, we decided to end the day's efforts in a little dell which was ringed with trees on all sides.

"This has a nice, cozy feel to it," I remarked as we began to settle ourselves down. "And most convenient! I wish all of our nightly rests could be had under similar accommodations. At least these trees will help to keep out the wind."

"That is my hope as well," said Nephyn, and I was surprised to hear her speak. "Though I would sooner choose a less exposed location. I wonder if we could manage to find a spot further up in the hills?"

"We should have little fear of discovery in this land," said Lagodir. "There are no settlements around us for many miles, or so it was when last I passed this way."

"When was that?" I asked.

"Nigh onto a year ago now," came the Gondorian's reply, "When I made my way north through the Gap of Rohan, among the Dunlendings, and thence into Eriador. I remember well the wide, trackless moors with little succor to be found for a lone wanderer upon the road. Glad am I to be among friends as I walk those paths now a second time, for the journey was a long and lonely one indeed."

There was not much talk beyond this was we all prepared to rest for the night. Lagodir, Drodie, and I were sort of bunched together on the eastern edge of the dell while Gaelira was standing on the lip, peering south. Nephyn, though, had removed herself to the western edge and continued her silent brooding. I wondered very much what was causing her to become so withdrawn.

Suddenly there was a terrible cry from behind us! Turning, I saw the shape of a Man outlined on the crest of the dell against the dimming sky -- his hands clasped a battle-axe over his head as he rushed down upon us! I was too stunned to react properly while Drodie and Lagodir fumbled for their weapons. Gaelira came running, but almost instantly I heard a swzzipp! A brown-feathered arrow sprang from the Man's heart and he fell over, dead. Turning, we saw Nephyn lower her bow.

"By thunder!" Drodie barked, "That was a praiseworthy shot, young huntress. I thought the smelly brute was going to cleave one of us in half before you -- Nephyn?" She had sunk to her knees and her face had lost its colour. We all rushed to her aid.

"Neph!" I cried. "What is it? Are you hurt?"

"I... I...," she stammered, her eyes transfixed on the fallen intruder. "Is he all right?"

"Who? Him?" I asked, bewildered. "I certainly hope not! What was he about, anyway, charging at us for no reason like that? But Neph, what on earth is the matter?"

"It's... I just... for the first time in my life I've finally met someone who looks like me. And I killed him."

I looked back at the corpse and saw she was right. The Man was sturdily built with wild hair and a matted beard, but his skin and eyes were all dark -- there was an obvious kindred between our attacker and our friend, though I thought I could see something a bit different in Nephyn as well.

"I guess I can't argue with you there," I said, more than a bit reluctantly. "Still, you did what you had to, didn't you? He was about to reduce one of us to very small pieces, if he'd had his way; I don't think he brought that axe along as a party-favour."

"The hobbit's got the right of it, lass," said Drodie as he prepared to haul the body off for burial. "Don't you go worrying yourself about this one -- I'll make sure he's taken care of. Erm, buried and all that, of course, but well-hidden, mark you."

"I would... just like to be alone right now, that's all," said Nephyn, and she abruptly left the dell heading west.

"She shouldn't be wandering alone out in the dark," I exclaimed, "What if there are more ruffians out there? Someone stop her!"

"Let her be," said Gaelira. "I will shadow her footsteps and ensure no harm comes to her, but mind yourselves! Keep your eyes and ears open -- and make sure the Dwarf does his job properly." Then Gaelira vanished into the gathering dark while Lagodir made to follow Drodie.

"Those two can fend for themselves," he said to me. "Padryc, you get a fire going and I will return straightaway -- I'd like a look at that body before Drodie makes it disappear." The next thing I knew I was alone at the campsite. I threw up my hands in frustration.

"Why doesn't anyone listen to me?" I griped to the trees, but I did as I was told and soon had a small fire burning at the very bottom of the dell, well shielded from the wind which, though lessened considerably from earlier in the day, would still occasionally gust with some force. Every slight noise had my jumping out of my skin while I remained there alone, but my fears were needless as Lagodir and Drodie returned after only a brief time.

"I could learn very little from our unwanted visitor," said Lagodir as he sat down upon a flat stone. "He was a Dunlending, of that there can be no doubt, and there was nothing particularly remarkable about him."

"What?" I blinked. "Do you mean to say we are in Dunland already?"

"No, that land lies yet many leagues to the south," came Lagodir's reply. "We are only just now on the very borders of the Enedwaith, a rough and borderless country. And that is one point which is certainly curious -- I never knew his kind to be seen so far north of their homeland, which makes me wonder what is afoot there. But also this: when I was last among that people, the males always carried with them some token or symbol of the clan to which they belonged. It is not uncommon with these lesser Men of Darkness (such is the name we have for them in Gondor), and their clans are usually associated with natural things, especially animals: goats, oxen, deer, birds of prey, and so forth. But this Man bore no such token, which I find most unusual."

"And why did he attack us?" I asked.

"Highway robbery, no doubt," growled Drodie with a wave of his hand. "Probably figured one of us would have some gear worth pinching, and he wouldn't be far wrong at that."

"Perhaps," said Lagodir with a frown, but I read in his voice that he was not convinced. I didn't speak my own thought that highway robbery typically involved multiple robbers and, well, a highway -- both of which were notably absent in our case.

I sat there worrying about Nephyn and Gaelira for a while, but eventually they both returned, safe and sound. The remainder of the evening was spent largely in silence as we kept watch in the hopes of avoiding any more unwanted guests.

Monday, 24th of Afterlithe, Year 1417 Shire-reckoning
Somewhere in the Land of Enedwaith

The day dawned clear and blue, as much a contrast to the day before as one could wish for. We breakfasted quickly, scattered the ashes of our little fire, and moved on with minimal delay. According to Lagodir and Gaelira, both of whom had previously travelled through that land, we should attempt to put as many miles as possible behind us each day since there was little hope of restoring our supplies at any point on the journey. There were few inhabitants along the path, for one thing, but those as did exist were not to be readily trusted -- the allegiances of the Algraig (the Men of the Enedwaith, and even more so of the Dunlendings, from what they told us) were flimsy and fickle; they held the Men of the North as condescending overlords and they feared the Elder Kindred. There was not much we could do to obscure our own identities, of course: the height of Drodie and myself left little doubt as to our kind while no one would ever mistake the bearing of Lagodir and Gaelira for anything other than what they were. Nephyn continued her silence from the day before and cast her hood over her face, yet she alone among us had any real hope of blending in.

We headed south at once, and for all the morning we encountered no difficulties. The land was rocky and uneven, but it was fair in a wild and untamed way which held its own sort of natural beauty. I continued to see the occasional holly-tree, but the sight became more and more isolated until it ceased altogether. Around the noon hour we suddenly came upon a rough track which led up into some hills to our right. We followed this as it wound among several boulders and then discovered ourselves in a set of tumbled ruins atop a low rise.

"Elven-make, by the look of them," said Lagodir, and I was inclined to agree. It must have been an age since any Elves lived there, however, judging from the worn and sad state of those stones which remained, lingering.

We lunched in that place and soon the day began to turn hot. The path we had followed into the ruins did not lead out of them, so we improvised a way down the western slopes of the hills into a ravine in order to continue our journey south. We were surprised to find that direction only led to impassable drops off of cliffs at a depth of fifteen or twenty ells, and these we found constantly to our south and west. Because of this, we were obliged to trek south and east, but soon enough that brought us to trouble.

Being driven by the cliffs to our right, we had just clambered up another small rise when I was suddenly forced onto the grass by Nephyn's firm grip. I saw the entire Company had followed suit, and I wondered what was going on, but I held my tongue. Gaelira signaled that we should all look eastward, and so we did using the greatest of care.

What we saw as we peeped over the edge of the hill caught me rather off guard: there below us in a little depression was an entire camp of Men (and Women, too), quite well-ordered and brimming with all manner of supplies and weaponry. They were Dunlendings, as well as I could make out and, while their numbers were not great, they looked to be a fearsome people. We had very nearly exposed ourselves while coming up over the crest of the hill, but the others' quick thinking appeared to have spared us, for the Dunlendings made no sign they had seen our approach.

"What do you make of that, Lagodir?" I heard Gaelira whisper nearby. Lagodir craned his neck to see the full expanse of the camp in the dell below us.

"Outlaws," he said after a short time. "Deserters, perhaps, but I cannot be certain without a closer look at them and their gear. They are remarkably well-supplied for being this far from any settlement that I can recall. And here again I see the oddity of which I spoke to Padryc and Drodie yestereve: I can see no sign of any banner, token, or charge among them which might declare their loyalties."

"How many?" asked Drodie. I was wondering the same thing, but no doubt for quite different reasons than the Dwarf.

"I count at least three dozen," came Lagodir's reply, "But there may well be more in the hills behind."

"Oh, c'mon, we can take 'em!" said Drodie, the light of battle gleaming in his eyes. Both Nephyn and I shot him an exasperated look, but he paid us no mind.

"Let us not draw blade needlessly," said Gaelira, her voice tinged with confusion. "Like as not this troop has nothing whatever to do with us, nor do they know we are here. The trust borne our ilk by those who inhabit this land is uncertain enough already without exacerbating it through pointless bloodshed. Come -- if we can find some way to head south or east then we can avoid them completely."

After a brief search we did discover a way: there was a gentle rock-slope nearby that we were able to slide down, and from there the land became easier to traverse. We gave the outlaw-camp a wide berth to the east, but then we heard the baying of wolves coming up from the south, ahead of us. This caused us to swerve further eastward yet again, and Gaelira became very anxious because so many unforeseen obstacles were driving us well out of our intended direction.

After a few more hours of heading east or southeast against our will, we spied what looked to be a crude dwelling atop a low ridge of hills. We debated among ourselves whether or not to approach it and beg guidance from the inhabitants, a point over which we were sharply divided. In the end, the ayes carried the vote, and we made our way thither. The place turned out to be a single, large, oval-shaped hut -- the walls were of stone while the roof was thatched. From the tilled earth surrounding it, we surmised we had come upon the humble abode of a farmer and his small family.

As we were pondering this, a Woman suddenly appeared in the entrance to the hut, eyeing us suspiciously. She spoke the Common Tongue well enough, though it was heavily accented, so we were able to assure her we meant no harm and that we only sought the quickest way to travel south. Through word and sign we gathered there was a natural gorge which ran south from her home that would eventually lead over a swift-running river by way of a stone bridge. This path, however, was recently plagued by wolves, for which the Woman had no name that we could recognize. She seemed genuinely afraid of the beasts, and I thought that strange for someone accustomed to living well apart from any large settlement, as she and her family would clearly be.

We thanked her many times for her kindness (in truth, she struck me as being cooperative mostly out of fear, but I'll take that over hostility any day), and we made to leave in peace. Gaelira, in standard Elvish fashion, bowed in respect to the Woman, but in so doing she revealed Nephyn, who had hidden herself behind the rest of us. One look at her, and the Woman flew into a rage: she screamed at us in her own language, motioning for us to be gone before retreating inside her house and slamming the door in our faces. Bewildered, our Company quit the place at once and fled from her lands. I thought it fortunate that her husband or sons (assuming she had any) were not nearby enough to give us any trouble.

The sun was already setting by the time we had put a comfortable amount of distance between us and the aggrieved native. We nestled ourselves among some boulders and prepared to bed down for the night, but each of us was disturbed by the day's events.

"I was surprised to see so many Dunlendings this far to the north," said Gaelira. "Like Lagodir, I never saw anything like it when last I was in this land."

"And what were they doing, I should like to know?" I asked. "Are all Dunlendings so war-like?"

"It is the natural state of their people," said Lagodir, not bothering to hide his contempt.

"One could say the same of Gondor," Nephyn shot back acidly. It was the first time I had heard her speak all day, but her tone shocked me far more than her finally breaking silence. I thought for a moment Lagodir was going to respond, but he merely shrugged his shoulders.

"As unusual as it was," said Gaelira cautiously, "Our encounter with the Algraig Woman at her home was even more confounding, in a way. She did not trust us, of course, and she aided us mostly out of fear, but her sudden change upon seeing Nephyn has me truly perplexed."

"Indeed!" Drodie exclaimed. "I would expect to be shunned in this land, and yet that Woman flies into a rage at the sight of the only one among us who looks anything at all like her!"

"I do not look anything at all like her!" cried Nephyn as she stood. "She is of the Algraig -- I have Dunlendish blood, you stupid Dwarf! Even if none of us speak her tongue, can't any of you see? She is afraid that my people have come to conquer her people, and she hates me for it." Tears starting in her eyes, Nephyn left our circle to sit at the base of a tree some distance off.

Our camp has been a quiet one this evening, and I have had time to ponder the meaning of all that was said earlier. It occurred to me that perhaps some of us had not given much thought to the customs and traditions of the people whose land through which we now travel, but one of our Company traces at least part of her lineage to this region. Nephyn did eventually rejoin us and apologized for her outburst, but the rest of us begged her forgiveness as well for our lack of insight (even Drodie). The huntress tried to act as if the whole episode was of no great moment, but I who knew her best could see she remained deeply troubled.

Trewsday, 25th of Afterlithe, Year 1417 Shire-reckoning
Somewhere in the Land of Enedwaith

All such issues were largely forgotten by the morning, not least because the howling of the wolves seemed unending during the night. I've heard more than a few wolf-cries in my day; I've even gotten to the point I can distinguish them from Warg-cries, and those are most vile, but what I heard today day in the wilds of the Enedwaith was truly blood-chilling. It was as if the beasts were calling to us with fell-voices which spoke of death.

In the light of day, however, the power of those voices grew less, and we pressed onward following the guidance we had received from the Algraig Woman the day before. As she had told us, the ravine ran in winding ways amidst the hills for many miles, but ever greater grew the sense that something evil was stalking our tracks. It was late morning when we came upon a network of caves in the hills and we knew that we had found the source of those voices.

I will not willingly tell much of what I saw there, for the fear it of haunts me still. The wolves which inhabited that place were unlike any I had ever seen in my life -- and I hope to never see again. They were black, but not black like any ordinary black-furred animal, for even the darkest beast will have subtle variations in their colour. These creatures were as black as jet while the air around them seemed to bend and warp in a frightening way; they were clearly not of the natural world. Their eyes were as piercing as swords, their fangs gleamed with a foul light, but always it was the cries of their mouths which was the most terrifying.

Of our Company, only Gaelira did not wish to leave at once; she insisted that we explore those caverns and discern the source of the monsters. Held by nothing more than her will and our bond of friendship, we dared to enter their den. The wolves fled before the light of her face, but Gaelira did not seek to battle the apparitions. Instead, she discovered the presence of many strange torches on the walls of those caves -- torches which put forth a stench and a dark, impure light that seemed to illuminate nothing. These she threw down and extinguished one by one until the sense of crushing malice around us was greatly diminished, and only then did we emerge gasping into the Sun-filled air once more. We put many miles between ourselves and the dens before halting, but when we asked Gaelira what she thought it all meant she could not give an answer.

"Those spectres were placed there, obviously," she said with downcast eyes, "But by whom or for what purpose, I cannot say any more than you. They may have had something to do with the black wolf-hides we found among the half-orcs, and they may not. We shall have to be content that we may have delayed the designs of their masters, but I fear we have accomplished little else this day."

Hevensday, 26th of Afterlithe, Year 1417 Shire-reckoning
Somewhere in the Land of Enedwaith

Today was another fair one, such that it nearly erased all memory of the horror we had found in the wolf-dens yesterday. By now it was clear we had been travelling much too far to the east, so Gaelira led us almost due westward. There was some debate as to whether we ought not journey in a southwesterly direction, since the bridge crossing the stream mentioned by the Algraig Woman was supposed to lie that way, and so we would be going in a much straighter line to reach it. The thinking prevailed, however, that if we could locate the Great North Road (which lay somewhere to the west), then we would make excellent time and compensate for our previous detours.

For once I can say our reasoning proved well-founded: the trek back to the west was slow and ponderous, but after a day's travel we have indeed found the Road. We are camped now just a stone's throw from it in a small copse of firs. Tomorrow should be a good day in making up for lost time, assuming the weather holds.

Mersday, 27th of Afterlithe, Year 1417 Shire-reckoning
Somewhere in the Land of Enedwaith

The weather was outstanding today, as fine as you could ask. We got started early, for we were all eager to put this strange land behind us, and the Great North Road certainly aided in that regard. Despite being of ancient make, the Road ran straight and true, south to north, and it was well-laid and smooth. We must have covered at least fifty miles today, maybe a little more, but I have a curious tale to relate which befell along the way.

It was probably half-past the second hour from noon. The five of us were enjoying the excellent clime (the Road reduced the need for exertion, which made hiking a much more pleasant experience), when from up ahead we heard the most peculiar sound: it was a deep-throated voice singing an odd and lilting ditty, a snatch of which I was able to remember.

Hey! Dain the Dwarf had an iron foot,
His beard was full and long,
His axe of steel and his steed of pork,
Dain's legend lives in song!

Oh, Nain's son, grandson of Gror,
Who founded the Iron Hills,
A stripling young, near Khazad-dum,
Azog the Accursed he killed.

Then armies five clashed on the slopes
Of golden Erebor,
With Elves and Men and eagles swift
Lord Dain rode to war.

The Orcs he smote with crip'ling blows,
They fled before his hand,
Yet Thorin King fell in that fight,
Now Dain rules the land.

Hey! Dain the King has an iron foot,
His beard still full and long,
What means it, to be Ironfoot?
Who cares?! His rule is strong!

There came into view a Dwarf riding a white goat. Most of his raiment was white also, which is an uncommon thing among Dwarves in any land I have ever visited. It was not a leap to suppose he was far from home (since most anyone would be in that land), but his bulging saddlebags and weather-worn cloak belied a well-travelled sort. Drodie was particularly excited to meet a kinsman on the Road, for he sang of the King Under the Mountain and the Iron Hills far to the north and east, so we hailed him. Turning his steed, the Dwarf waved at us and even dismounted to bow when we approached.

"Odec, at your service!" he said. His beard was black as a raven's wing, but his eyes were merry and he smiled broadly at us. "My, my! What would cause such unusual companions to journey along such a lonely road in such a desolate land? No doubt there's a tale worth hearing behind this!"

"I should say there is," Drodie replied, "But I would equally like to know what brings a Dwarf across the endless leagues from Erebor to the same place. No doubt there is a tale worth hearing behind that!"

"Ha! Well turned, kinsman, and I would expect no less," said Odec with a laugh. "But since I perceive behind your question a desire to hide your purposes until you learn of my own, then you shall have your way for I've naught to hide. I hail from the Iron Hills, not Erebor, though I did stop there on my way. I bear a summons from Dain, King Under the Mountain, to his distant but dear friend Nar in Thror's Coomb, which is some ways south and east of where we now stand. There! You now all there is worth knowing about Odec, so what of your own tale?"

"A single messenger dispatched across all that wide distance?" asked Drodie. "I would think the king's words worthy of more... surety."

"I have seen my share of miles, friend," answered Odec with a wink, "Nor am I entirely defenceless." Here, he reached up and patted a compact and cleverly-wrought crossbow which hung from his saddle. "But enough dodging -- come! Tell me who is it I have the pleasure of meeting in this forsaken land! I had taken to composing songs in my boredom, but I would much sooner speak with travelling companions for, as you no doubt heard, mine is not the voice of a minstrel."

We laughed then introduced ourselves one-by-one, starting with Drodie. Odec was very interested in us, but he was courteous and did not press overmuch about our errand since we were obviously not inclined to discuss it in any detail. We walked together the rest of that day (Odec as well, leading his goat by the halter, so as to give his "poor backside" a rest, he said), and the conversation was always lively and interesting. At dusk, we could hear the rushing of water, and Odec said we should halt for the night.

"Yonder lies the Araniant," he said, "The great stone bridge which spans the swift river that divides the Enedwaith into its two chief regions, north and south. Tomorrow we will cross together, but shortly thereafter I shall leave you, for you tell me your errand is to Dunland and the south while my duty takes me eastward."

He led us off the Road into a thicket, and there we made camp. We exchanged stories of our respective travels deep into the night, with each subsequent tale being more incredible than the last. I finally drifted off to sleep with visions of Dwarf-battles and greedy dragons racing through my mind.

Highday, 28th of Afterlithe, Year 1417 Shire-reckoning
Somewhere in the Land of Enedwaith

We crossed the Araniant first thing in the morning without trouble. On the southern side of the river the trees suddenly failed, and all the land before us wide, flat, and empty. The winds swept over all that bare country while the tall grasses swayed this way and that at its will. We continued along the Road a bit further but, as he had said before, Odec was obliged to part ways with us shortly thereafter.

"Crossing paths with you lot has been the most pleasant thing that's befallen me on this long journey since I feasted at the King's table beneath the Lonely Mountain," he said. "I dearly hope we might do so again, as unlikely as that might seem." Raising his hand in farewell, he turned his goat off the Road and slowly disappeared into the East, his deep voice merrily rolling back over the plains toward us as he sang.

"Nice chap, what?" I said as I watched him go. "It's a pity we don't meet more folk like him on our travels. Can't say I would mind hearing his storytelling more of an evening, though they did tend to be a bit gory and somewhat more, ah well, Dwarvish than I would normally go in for."

"That's only because you didn't get the full experience," said Drodie with a grin. "What you were missing was a few mugs of ale inside you. Then you'd be in the right spirit!"

Our Company was in fine spirits indeed the rest of that day as we continued south along the Road. Near the end of the day, we saw a rising hill up ahead and to our right, atop which was a crude wooden palisade.

"That is one of the few settlements one will find in the Enedwaith," said Lagodir as he pointed. "It is called Lhanuch by its people, the Algraig, if my memory serves. We should be able to avoid being seen from its walls if we turn east and keep among the tall grasses there."

"It would be my counsel that we avoid them not," countered Gaelira. "We have seen much which is mysterious in this land, and I would endeavor to find some answers to our many questions. What better way to do so than by walking among those who know the land best?"

"I do not think this counsel is good," said Lagodir, "But I am willing to adventure it, if it be your advice. Still, I would think it best if Nephyn not enter there -- let her and Padryc remain outside the walls so that none of us are left alone, while you, Drodie, and I attempt to treat with these Men."

I was afraid Nephyn might take offence at Lagodir's suggestion, but in fact she seemed to think it wise. We took up position just out of bowshot from the walls of Lhanuch behind a shallow rock-wall and waited for our companions to return. The shadows lengthened while we sat there, but our fears proved needless when the three of them rejoined us just as dusk was filling the sky.

"The people of Lhanuch were not hostile," Gaelira reported, "Though they do not trust us and gladly accepted our offer to camp outside their walls tonight. We told them only that we are journeying swiftly as may be through the Enedwaith and mean them no harm. They were even willing to sell us what meager supplies are among their stores, although at exorbitant prices."

"Hmph! Some hospitality," I huffed. "I'll be perfectly happy out here, thank you very much."

"You and I are in agreement on that point, Master Hobbit," said Lagodir. "Still, our visitation was not without its value. We learned that many companies of Dunlendings and also half-orcs have passed north through the Enedwaith of late, though of course that we knew already. What interests me is that the Algraig speak of unrest in Dunland and the splintering of the tribes there. Personally, I welcome these tidings: if the enemies of Rohan have become less united, then perhaps their feud with the Rohirrim, true-hearted allies of my people, may at last come to its long-awaited end. Like as not the unmarked troop we saw two days' past was a company of deserters even as I had said at the time: Men who are dissatisfied with the shifting politics of their folk. Perhaps the Dunlendings are become split on whether they should continue to pursue their hopeless conflict against the Horse-lords? Indeed, it must be so, for what other foes have they? I deem this good news for Gondor and Rohan, and therefore good news for the Free Peoples."

"I do not agree," said Gaelira, shaking her head. "If the loyalties of the Dunland tribes have indeed begun to fracture, then why now? Have not they maintained their hatred of the Rohirrim for many lives of Men? What has happened to cause this shift of which you speak? I sense an ill-meaning hand in this matter, but the mind which guides it is hidden from me. Be that as it may, the three of us should be able to secure some additional foodstuffs to restock our supplies in the morning, ere we go."

We spent the night in silence, each busy with his or her own thoughts. It seemed we were walking straight into the land of a combative folk that were in the midst of some sort of upheaval. I think that I, like Nephyn, will try to keep a low profile for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment