Sunday, May 6, 2018

The Adventures of Elladan's Outriders -- Episode 64.1

A Time for Recovery

Mersday, 6th of Afterlithe, Year 1418 Shire-reckoning
The Last Homely House, Rivendell
My attempt at sketching the Last Homely House from the pine-woods
Yesterday marked a fortnight since Lagodir was cured by Elrond here in Rivendell. The time since was mostly filled with patient anticipation as we waited for our friend to regain consciousness, although much else was done in the interim as well. Most of it would likely bore you though, Dear Reader, so I will only attempt the briefest summation of those days.

You may recall from my previous entry that Gaelira had been going in and out of Elrond's House repeatedly without explanation. I eventually did ask her why, and the answer was simple and obvious when I heard it: Hremm, our raven-friend, had of course taken up permanent residence in that valley (I myself had forgotten this at the time), and Gaelira had simply been searching for him because she wished to gather news as to whether Minasse or Mallacai had been sighted anywhere near his nest. Neither had, unfortunately, nor had there been any word from Malkan the eagle. This lack of information put Gaelira (Nephyn too, I later discovered) a bit on edge, and they pressed Elrond several times for tidings. Yet, each time they did so, the Elf-lord would only tell them to be patient -- that grim counsels would be the order of the day soon enough and there was no need to hurry them -- and that we ought to wait for Lagodir's return out of respect for his sacrifice in any case.

And so we busied ourselves with other tasks: Drodie was put in charge of our equipment, I managed our stores of food and medicine, Nephyn could often be found rummaging through old maps in the library, and Gaelira tried to learn all she could of Amarthiel, Narchuil, the palantir, and the movements of the Enemy's forces in the North. I believe she had also resolved to track down Luean's murderers and do them justice, and she became rather unapproachable when the right mood was on her.

For myself, I tried to leave such gloomy things to the others. I never tire of residing in the Last Homely House, no matter how long I remain at a stretch nor the number of times I go back, and the oftener we do the happier I am. The first few days I slept quite a lot, exhausted as I was from our long journey through Hollin, to Moria, and back, but after that I did try to spend my time more wisely. I made an effort to study some maps alongside Nephyn, but the vast distances and expansive regions had me rather outside my reckoning, which rendered me of little help. Then I tried learning about Rivendell's history -- I reasoned this would be something that would hold my interest -- but there turned out to be so much to learn that I quickly dropped it. I even engaged old Mr. Bilbo on the matter, but he has the habit of constantly falling asleep in the middle of a thought and by the time you can wake him back up and resume the conversation you end up covering the same topics over and over again, so I gave up. In the end, I spent a good deal of this time wandering through the parts of Imladris I hadn't yet seen, and that was more than enough for my contentment. I even attempted to sketch a view of Elrond's House from the rear, from among the pine-trees which grow on the hills behind it, although my efforts hardly do the real thing justice.

But today at last, around the noon hour, Lagodir awoke. We were summoned to Tham Send (the Room of Rest's proper name, Lindir told me) where we fawned over him for a good while, much to the Man's dislike. After a time, Elrond himself joined us, telling us how pleased he was to see our friend recovered following so many trials. He also asked that we see him in his study tomorrow, where we shall discuss many things.

A feast was held earlier tonight in celebration of Lagodir's recovery as well as the final defeat of Guloth. It was a merry time, but also quite draining (as such things can be), so I am only taking just enough time now to finish off this entry before I turn in. I hope tomorrow will bring us answers to our many lingering questions.

Highday, 7th of Afterlithe, Year 1417 Shire-reckoning
The Last Homely House, Rivendell

I was up early, refreshed and ready for whatever the day might bring. The five of us breakfasted quickly, then made our way to Elrond's library, where we found the Elf-lord awaiting us. There commenced a lengthy council in which much was debated and discussed, but I will not record everything said here as it took almost the entirety of the day. There were, however, several key points which necessitate a more detailed recounting.

"Some time ago I spoke to you concerning the Man called Inar and his place within the Seekers of the Seven Stars," Elrond said to us, "At the time I did not tell you all that I knew, for the recovery of your friend was of greater import. Now, however, your Company is hale and whole once more, and so I deem the time is right to divulge more fully my knowledge of this matter." I squirmed a little as the ominous words we had discovered on the slip of paper near Luean's murdered body ran once more through my mind.

"No doubt Gaelira has told you what she knows of the Man himself," Elrond went on, "But I shall tell you what Mallacai knew of him, for he sought counsel of me concerning Inar's zealotry on numerous occasions. He is known as Captain Inar; ever has he sought ways to attack the forces of Darkness wherever he found them, and always would he lead such forays himself. Although never large in number, his followers have, under his leadership, struck many critical blows against the servants of the Dark Lord throughout Eriador, often working in concert with the Rangers and even my own folk at times. He is a gifted and inventive commander; a charismatic leader with the ability to inflame the souls of others and rally them to his cause. Yet his successes (combined, I think, with the naturally brief span of years which is the Gift of Men), has hardened his heart with impatience and with pride. As our Enemy continues to grow in strength, the hearts of many darken with despair, and so their minds are led down evil pathways, though they themselves may not perceive it. I fear such a fate has befallen Inar and, great though his service to the Free Peoples has been throughout his long life, he has fallen at last into folly using his newfound strength in ways which harm the very folk he believes himself to be protecting. Despite my warnings, he was continually promoted within the kinship, for the elders deemed his victories worth the costs he exacted in freedom. Mallacai and I disagreed on many things, but we both feared what might transpire were Inar to someday gain the power he sought. Indeed, it has been chiefly this very issue which has made me reluctant to support the Seekers' efforts in recent years, and now I fear that very thing has come to pass."

"You believe this Inar has taken control of the Seekers of the Seven Stars?" asked Gaelira. "How could this have befallen without my knowledge? Or yours, for that matter?"

"Your own thought has been elsewhere, Gaelira," Elrond replied. "And I, too, have other matters which require my attention. However, I think we can deduce that Inar's rise to power was handled quietly and with discretion, thereby remaining unknown to most except those closest to it. In any case I can think of no better explanation for Mallacai's sudden disappearance -- he seems to have vanished from the North of Middle-earth."

"But what does he fear?" I asked. "Couldn't Mallacai and Inar simply sit down and hash it all out?"

"I am not certain myself, so I will not pass judgment now," said Elrond. "Suffice it to say that Mallacai considered himself in enough danger that he went into hiding, even to the point of not informing the five of you, for whom he had a great deal of respect, unless I miss my guess."

"I, for one, don't care how dangerous Inar may be," said Nephyn, her cheeks flushing red. "We've faced greater foes before -- I will be reckoning with him and anyone else that had anything to do with Luean's passing!"

"We do not know that he was involved," Gaelira cut in.

"Do not let anger cloud your mind," said Elrond calmly. "If you wish to pursue such a path then I will not hinder it, only recall that Inar now has a great deal of resources at his command -- he may well find you before you find him."

"Good!" laughed Drodie, "Then our search will be a short one. I like it when things proceed without undue delay, as any of Inar's lackeys will learn should they try and delay me introducing my axe to his face."

"Caution might still be prudent counsel, nonetheless," said Lagodir as he grinned. "That said, it may be worth running the risk to confront Inar directly and hearing what he has to say. However, there is also the matter of our missing companion."

"Truly," Elrond agreed. "That Minasse never crossed the bounds of Imladris is unsettling. And there is this also: Luean's mission to learn of Narchuil's fate met an untimely end, raising the spectre of Amarthiel over all. It seems there are many paths which now lay before your feet, my friends."

"Yet only one can our feet walk at a time," Nephyn sighed. "How shall we answer this riddle?"

"Personally, I can't make heads nor tails of --" I began to say, but at that moment the doors to the library opened to reveal Lindir, Steward of Rivendell.

"Forgive the intrusion, my lord," he said to Elrond, "But you asked to be informed at once should the eagle named Malkan return to Imladris. He is perched now just outside your doors."

"How fortuitous!" said Elrond with a smile. "It seems Fate grants us her favour once again. Shall we?"

Moments later we were all standing on the path which led down from the doors to Elrond's House. It was as fine a day as you could ask, with just the right number of puffy white clouds hanging lazily overhead in a field of profound blue. We were now well into summer yet it was not too hot, and the little seedlings of dandelions were floating past us like merry soap-bubbles on a wash-day. There in front of us, perched on a low tree-branch, was Malkan.

"Malkan!" called Gaelira excitedly. "How good it is to see you again, my friend! And look at how excited he seems! He must bear us news worth hearing."

"Excited?" I echoed as I inspected the eagle from a distance. "What do you mean? He hasn't moved a muscle yet -- if he were carved from stone like the very pillars in this courtyard I could scarcely tell the difference!"

"Nonsense," Gaelira chafed as she pointed. "That is just the natural stoicism of his kind. Mark you not how he grips the branch and his eyes blink rapidly, eager to tell us what he knows?"

"If you say so," I muttered. We approached the tree, but suddenly Malkan screamed at us and took to the air; he alighted again on some nearby stone-work, higher up and further away.

"What's this about?" I asked. "Malkan! You remember us, don't you?" I felt a bit silly talking to a bird, but even I could see he was glaring at us reproachfully, as if we had done him some insult.

"The four of you come stand by me," Elrond instructed us from the porch of his House. "And allow Gaelira to consult with him unaccompanied. He serves her at the command of Gwaihir, his lord, and so his words are for her ears alone."

"Quite particular, isn't he?" I snickered, but the others paid me no heed; they were watching the eagle and the she-Elf as they conversed for several minutes. At length, Malkan flew off and Gaelira returned to us.

"Malkan has found no trace of Minasse, and so I have begged him to keep looking," she told us, "But he did spy Mallacai on the road south, accompanied by an Elf-maid and a deep-bearded Dwarf. Malkan descended to speak with them and he returns now with a message."

"A message from Mallacai? That's excellent!" I cheered. "But such an odd company! Who are the other two and what are they doing?"

"I do not know their names," Gaelira replied, "But apparently they are among the few who remained loyal to Mallacai when... when things changed."

"What do you mean?" asked Lagodir. Gaelira sighed deeply.

"Mallacai was removed as Leader of the Seekers of the Seven Stars and the elders voted to install Inar in his place," she said. "It seems Inar and the elders blamed Mallacai for the rise of Amarthiel in Angmar."

"Short-sighted fools," Lagodir seethed. "Mordirith or Amarthiel -- do they not realize that any who would rule that dark land works only the will of the One who sent them?"

"There's more," Gaelira went on. "The kinship also accuses Mallacai of operating a grand scheme to overthrow the Steward of Angmar, seize the palantir, and set himself up as tyrant in Carn Dum. They say he conspired to do this with the aid of a band of misfit adventurers... known as Elladan's Outriders."

"What?!" I cried. "That's lunacy!"

"From what Malkan tells me, Inar's agents are hunting everywhere for Mallacai; they intend to capture him and try him for 'heresy,'" said Gaelira, her teeth on edge. "They have no right to to do this! Setting themselves up as some kind of perverted court of justice -- I will see this corruption ended, by my own hand, if need be!"

"Let your thought remain clear, Gaelira," said Elrond firmly. "Was there anything else in Mallacai's message to you?"

"Only that he now travels south," she replied after taking a breath, "Away from the clutches of the Seekers, yet toward those lands where he deems he may still be of use in the battles which are to come."

"And so we are become outlaws," said Nephyn quietly, "Named as enemies for opposing the Enemy. What an unfortunate fate."

"It would be rash to judge so before one sees the ends of all things," said Elrond. "Do not forget, friends, that your deeds have won more than a few hearts across the leagues of Eriador; you have many allies, including, perhaps, some that you still know not. At least now we have clarity where before much was hidden. What now shall your Company endeavor?"

"If this Inar can be reasoned with at all," mused Lagodir, "I still think direct communication might be our best option. Turning an adversary into an ally is always advisable, to my mind."

"Are you mad?" I asked, incredulous. "Didn't you hear what they've accused us of doing? I wasn't sure at first, but now I'm convinced the Seekers are responsible for Luean's murder. And we'll be next if we don't take care, you mark my words!"

"If we are being hunted like Mallacai," said Nephyn, "Then would it not make sense to follow his example? Perhaps we should also take the road south, away from our pursuers, but toward the threat of war? That would put us on the same path as Mallacai, where we might overtake him. Unfortunately, it would also mean giving up on resolving the mystery of Luean's demise."

"I think we may be able to do both at once," said Gaelira. "The southern road is long, empty, and dangerous, and so our safety there seems more likely to me. But there is also a friend of mine who resides along that road -- a former Seeker. He is wise and sees much in a land which others ignore. He may be able to help us, or at least give us information."

"That sounds more promising," I agreed. "Where can we find this friend of yours?"

"In Dunland."

"Oh! And where is that?"

"About twice as many leagues as we covered from here to the Doors of Moria."

"Twice the distance?!" I cried. "Good heavens! You lot will walk the very hairs off my feet!"

"You could always go back to Bree or the Shire," said Drodie with a mischievous smirk, "I'm sure it would be a lovely journey, especially now that the Seekers are lurking out there."

"I suppose you think that's funny, don't you?" I huffed. "Well, don't worry on my account: if Dunland is as far away as all that, then you'll not leave me behind: I'm not cruel enough to make the others endure your cooking across all those miles!" Everyone laughed.

"It would seem your path has been set, then," said Elrond. "I believe this to be a wise choice. Know also that I shall continue to send forth my scouts, who will be on the lookout for any sign of Minasse's whereabouts. Once he is found I shall send word to you, if it can possibly be contrived."

"You have our thanks, lord," said Gaelira with a bow. "And now, if we are all of one mind, I think we should prepare ourselves to depart your hospitality once again. Mallacai already has a substantial head-start -- if all is ready, we will set out at dawn."

"Go, then, but go warily!" said Elrond. "May the stars shine forever on your path."

We spent the remainder of the day collecting ourselves and preparing to leave, but in truth little preparation was needed. Our hurts and hungers had been sated many times over since returning to that valley, where the passage of time brings vigour instead of decay or boredom. I wasn't certain Lagodir was fit for journeying again so soon, but he assured us he was ready despite admitting it would be some time before he was back up to fighting form. He set aside his heavy armour, but Nephyn returned to him the beautiful, curved Elven sword Elrond had given him during our last stay. For her part, Nephyn refilled her quiver while Gaelira studied many maps of Dunland, most of which were sketchy and incomplete. Drodie didn't really care where we were going (no other place could ever be as marvellous as Khazad-dum, he kept reminding us), and even I am so used to travelling that I was ready to go in short order.

I did take another 'last' trip around the House of Elrond as a way of saying goodbye to all my favourite haunts there. The Hall of Fire, the Room of Rest, the Falls of Imladris. I bade Mr. Baggins another farewell too while he, in turn, asked me when I was ever going to settle down and take things easy. I found I had no answer for him as I helped the old hobbit back to his rooms in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment