Sunday, September 2, 2018

The Adventures of Elladan's Outriders -- Episode 77.2

Parting Ways

Mersday, 18th of Wedmath, Year 1417 Shire-reckoning
Thror's Coomb, Somewhere in the Enedwaith
The mountains of Thror's Coomb
It's been nearly a week since my pen has scratched the papers of this journal, and I admit I've missed it terribly. However, upon review of the past several entries, I see Neph has done an excellent job in illustrating what transpired during the time I was unable to perform my scrivenly duties, so I will simply let it stand as-is. Besides, she basically got everything correct concerning what happened to me and there's no value added in me going into all the details about how frightened I was, the stench of the Dunbog, the horror of the Mines, or any of that. Doing so would only add many more unnecessary pages to this account which is already quite long enough.

The only other thing I think I should point out is: Enro Smuin was actually quite civil to me when I was in his care, although I'm not sure if that was because he's really a good Man at heart or because he considered it part of his job to ensure I was not treated badly during my transport. Either way, I actually feel sort of bad for the poor fellow -- sometimes our lot in life is one of perpetual "outsideness," and Smuin strikes me as the kind of chap who could really be an honest fellow if he put his mind to it. But at some point his life led him beyond the bounds of polite society and now he seems to disdain it (and those in it) which only cycles into more disdain toward himself by decent folk and the process repeats without ending. Maybe I'm not making any sense.

What I do know is the Outriders have had a couple of very momentous days in a row here at Harndirion. Yesterday, obviously, was one: we were reuinted with each other and finally introduced to Captain Inar who, as it turns out, is not our foe (at least not for the moment... he talks about the Seven Stars like some kind of doom-sayer and I've never had no truck with such folk. Personally, I don't trust him any more than do Gaelira or Nephyn, but half-friends are better than no friends as we say in the Shire). For the time being, though, he seems dead-set on moving against this Gortheron Gaunt-lord thing which was summoned by Gorothul (also known as the Emissary, the bad actor who killed our friend Luean all those weeks ago), so I guess that makes Inar an ally, if nothing else. But today was another important day -- also a very sad and bittersweet one -- the events of which I shall now relate to you.

We spent last night encamped with Inar's battalion which, as Nephyn adequately described, was an enjoyable time indeed. After some much-needed rest, the leader of the Seekers of the Seven Stars roused us all for an early-morning breakfast. He gave us direction, counsel, and a good measure of provision, which was well since it sounded to me as though we were going to have a long and lonely road ahead of us. His troop was headed east to deal with some trouble in the mountains (he wouldn't say what, exactly), but then he would swing around to the south-west to investigate the strange reports coming out of the Lich Bluffs. We, by contrast, would be headed north -- at least at first.

"If you are to assail Dol Guldur in Southern Mirkwood, there are only three paths I know of by which you might come there," he said as we sat around a campfire and ate. "The first would be the Redhorn Pass. That is probably the safest way, especially since we are still in the midst of summer, though the heights of the Misty Mountains are always dangerous even in the best of times. It would take you almost two weeks, I think, to reach and attempt that pass, but even then the snows should still be lower in Halimath than they will be come Wintring. Your second route would be safer, I think, but it is a very long road indeed: you would journey back south through Dunland to the Gap of Rohan, across the Westemnet, into the Wold of the Riddermark, skirt north along the Anduin, and so come to the forest by the south and east. The trouble is, you could easily spend eight to ten weeks on such a journey which would bring you into the heart of Blooting, when 'tis evil in the Wild to fare."

"And what is the third way?" asked Gaelira.

"The third way you know already," said Inar, "For you have walked its path once before. It leads through the Mines of Moria; if you can find the east-gate and emerge unscathed into the Dimrill Dale on the far side."

"I would guess we could reach the west-gate in a week's time," said Minasse, "Maybe a little more. Then it would be a four-day journey to the east-gate and down to Nanduhirion, if memory serves."

"But that way is also fraught with peril," said Lagodir. "And if what you tell us is true and Gorothul seeks to forge an alliance with the Orcs of Moria, then it would not aid our cause to go traipsing through that realm on our way to assault their ally's stronghold. We might as well send an engraved missive announcing our arrival."

"Nor do I think we can afford the delay of the longer road," said Gaelira. "No, the pass of the mountains seems to me the most sensible way to take, if we can."

"I agree," said Nephyn. "I myself have little experience with journeys in the high places, but there are those among our Company who possess such skill."

"I cannot tell you much of what you will find on the far side -- in Rhovanion," said Inar. "It has been many years since I was last in that land. You may seek aid from the Elves of Lothlorien, but I am not certain they would help you. The Lady Galadriel who rules there is no more enamored of me than is Elrond of Rivendell; I fear my name will be of little use to you in that country."

"She may be more disposed to speak with me, her distant kin," said Minasse, "But I do not know about these others." I shot him a disapproving look, calling the rest of our Company these others, but in typical fashion he didn't so much as notice me. "It will likely be our best hope to try, in any case, since our stock of supplies will certainly be running low by then, assuming we ever get so far."

"Nor shall we ever, if we do not start soon," said Gaelira as she stood. "Inar, it has been a pleasure to see you again and I am very glad indeed that we do not find ourselves at cross-purposes as I had so long feared. Also, we cannot thank you enough for your generosity in allowing us to take from your supplies."

"We are all enemies of the One Enemy," said Inar, "And in opposing him do we prove our worth to the Queen of the Stars. Such is the only reward I desire."

We proceeded to say our goodbyes to everyone present, but suddenly into the midst of everything strode Volfren. He made a quick series of hand-signs to Inar, who raised his eyebrows and looked off to the south.

"Someone approaches," he said. "He will join us here momentarily."

We did not have to wait long. In about ten minutes' time several of Inar's warriors steeped aside to make way for the stranger. He was tall and clad all in ring-mail, but his helm he held in his hand. His hair was long and waxen, as was his beard, and I saw that horses were heavily represented on his arms and armour: from his sword-pommel to his nose-guard. His cloak was weather-stained with heavy travel, but its colour was a deep and rich green.

"Leofward!" I heard someone exclaim, and to my surprise I realized it was Lagodir speaking. The Gondorian ran to the newcomer and they embraced.

"Lagodir!" said the Man. "I cannot believe I have actually found you! But who are these others whose company you keep? Ever were you fated to be companioned by strange folk!"

"My friends," Lagodir said as he turned to address us, "This is Leofward, right-hand to Theodred, son of Theoden King, Prince of the Riddermark, a gallant knight and true. More than once have our swords shone together in defence of the Westfold." Then Lagodir proceeded to introduce each of us to the golden-haired Man. "But what are you doing here, Leofward? Dire indeed must be the tidings you bear if the Prince has parted ways with thee. Have the west-lands come under assault by the Dunlending barbarians once again?" Out of the corner of my eye I saw Ancthas shift his weight irritably, but he did not speak.

"I do not think it prudent for us to discuss such delicate matters so openly," said Leofward as he looked warily at the throng surrounding him. "But I must certainly tell you this: the Prince has called upon your sword-arm, Lagodir, as he now does of all able-bodied warriors that they may come to our defence. More I will tell you as we return to him."

"Loathe am I to refuse the summons of the Lord Theodred," Lagodir replied, "But you find me on a quest most urgent; I cannot simply turn aside from my path, nor would I forsake my companions in their time of need." Leofward cast his eyes over us, then lowered his voice as he spoke with great urgency.

"His Highness the Prince calls upon you to fulfill your oath to Rohan," he said. "Such is the grave nature of our need." Lagodir froze and looked hard at his friend for a long moment.

"Has it come even to this?" he said at last, and I felt a pit opening in the bottom of my stomach as it became clear what was happening right before my eyes. There was a brief silence, then Lagodir turned to us.

"Dear friends," he said, "I fear I have no choice but to leave you. It rends my heart that we should be thus sundered, but I must go."

"No, Lagodir!" I cried, "Tell this Man we need you to come with us."

"I cannot," he said to me with downcast eyes. "An oath I have taken, even as Leofward has said, to come to the defence of Rohan in her hour of need. Such was the price of my refuge there when I was finally freed by the Lord Denethor following my imprisonment. And that price I paid full-willing, for the Rohirrim welcomed me then when few others would do so. I am honour-bound to answer this call, nor would I wish to fathom my fate were I to refuse this summons. I fear our time together is ended, at least for the present, but know that my heart and my thoughts will be with you, whatever may betide."

I suddenly became aware that tears were running down my cheeks as we each said our farewells to him in turn. The multitude around us saw that it was a difficult moment and withdrew themselves a bit in order to give us some space, but I don't recall even noticing their presence as I gave the Gondorian a tight embrace. So many memories came flooding back to me then: our initial encounter with Lagodir as an ill-kempt, bedraggled vagabond (whom Barliman Butterbur very nearly turned away from the Prancing Pony) where we first met, the long miles we traveled across Eriador in pursuit of Mallacai's several tasks, the terrible threat of Guloth, his eventual defeat at the hands of Elrond, and the difficult journey through Dunland which had caused such a rift within the Company. Saying goodbye that day was probably the most awful time of the whole adventure. Unfortunately, I seemed incapable of expressing everything I was feeling at that time; I suppose I mumbled some banalities which probably bore no real resemblance to what was going on inside me, but it was the best I could manage -- the shock was simply too great. Then, just as suddenly, Ancthas stood forward.

"If you are heading south," he said, "I would go with you. I must rejoin my people at their fight in the Dunbog, but the road is long and dangerous on one's own." Leofward started.

"Travel with a Dunlending?" he exclaimed. "I rode hither in search of Lagodir because of what your people have done -- and intend to do -- on the borders of our land!" He laid his hand on his sword-hilt, but Lagodir seized him by the wrist.

"You will be free to journey with us and rejoin your folk, Ancthas," he said. "Our road lies together for many miles to the south. And we shall travel in friendship, Leofward, or you will return to Theodred and report that you caused me to withhold from him my sword; I will not fulfill my oaths in a manner which dishonours me or the cause for which we all fight." Leofward looked stunned at his words, but he bowed his head and withdrew his hand before asking Ancthas for pardon.

"Forgive my words, which I spoke in undue haste," he said, though he continued to eye Ancthas with caution. "Clearly there is a tale here worth the hearing, and I look forward to it as we journey together -- as allies. It seems we shall have plenty of time for the telling as I have only my own horse to share among the three of us."

"Volfren will take you to where our steeds are kept," said Inar from nearby. "The mounts of Enro Smuin and his associates will be turned over to you for your use. I've little doubt they will approve of their change in fortunes despite the long miles which are now their lot to travel."

I was relieved at this turn of events and we all thanked Inar many times for his generosity, but I hung my head in sadness. In the space of ten minutes I had lost two friends, the old and the new. We set about preparing to leave while Inar's company did the same. It only took me a short time but everyone else took rather longer, what with all the battle-gear lying about. As this was going on, I saw Nephyn and Lagodir standing rather apart from everyone else and speaking quietly together. I also noticed Inar and Gaelira had met up and were looking northward, down the tumbling slopes of Harndirion and toward a low range of mountains which ran east-west in a straight line before us -- a brief spur of the Misty Mountains thrust out from the main range -- and I thought I could see the line of a river at their feet as well. I realized that river must be the same one we had crossed by the bridge of Araniant twice the first time we had made our way through the Enedwaith. Then, just as I was thinking these things, I found I could hear the two of them speaking.

"My best lore indicates it may lie there, Gaelira," Inar was saying, "Somewhere up in the mountains most likely."

"Of course!" Gaelira replied, "Thror's first major settlement after Smaug sacked the Lonely Mountain. It was long rumoured to hold the greatest collection one could find outside of Moria."

"Exactly," said Inar. "It will certainly create a delay, but I think it would still be worth paying a visit. If you guess anywhere near the truth (and I believe you do), then I can think of few other places in Middle-earth that might hold the answers you seek."

This conversation intrigued me greatly, but I was unable to hear more for suddenly Ancthas, Nephyn, Lagodir, Drodie, and Minasse all stood before me.

"I do not wish to make this any more difficult than it has been already," said Lagodir. "I am no good at these sorts of things; may fortune favour you all on your journey."

"Must you really go?" I asked, crestfallen. I think part of me had been holding out hope that something would happen to upend the seemingly inevitable breaking of our fellowship.

"Sadly, yes," the Gondorian replied. "I do not make (or break) my oaths in idle fancy, nor would the Lords of Rohan call upon me to fulfill them except in the gravest need. However, while I am off seeing to my own promises, Padryc, I would be obliged if you were to promise me you will take good care of yourself in my absence."

"I will do that," I said, "But only if you will do the same to me in return. Still, I must say it hardly seems fair that you should go stealing Ancthas at the same time we must lose you."

"I fear this is indeed where we part ways," said Ancthas with a smile. "You led us on quite a chase, Master Halfling. It proved a nice test of my mettle, and it is good to see you emerged whole and hale in the end."

"Yes, it all worked out quite satisfactorily," I hawed, not quite knowing what to say. "It's a shame, though: we barely got to know each other, which is a pity considering all the discomfort I've caused you recently."

"It has been a wearying few days, I won't deny that," he laughed, "But my word is fulfilled and now I must make all haste back to my people in the south."

"Yes, of course you must go," I said gloomily, "Your people need you, and I really do hope you and they may soon find peace."

"May your words bring truth with them," he said. "For my part, I am just glad to have met Outsiders who do not wish more harm brought to my country. If I could work my own will, I would have you come with me, to where valour and brave deeds are greatly needed." He reached down and patted my shoulder, but his gaze was upon Nephyn as he spoke. The young huntress' eyes did not long remain fixed with his, but instead looked to the east.

"Your people are your first duty," she said with some difficulty, "And I feel I cannot wish you peace, for it seems that you go forth into great danger -- as do we all -- though our roads lie in opposite directions."

There was a silence. Then Ancthas nodded his head, turned, and walked away slowly. Nephyn's eyes followed him for a moment.

"Farewell, Ancthas," she said to his back, "May the spirits guide your steps and your arms to victory." The Dunlending halted only briefly. "Farewell," he said over his shoulder, then strode away.

"Tell me you will see him safely home," Nephyn said, and I somehow knew she spoke to Lagodir though her eyes following the Dunlending as he departed from us.

"I will," Lagodir answered her. "My eyes have been opened to the courage and the honour which abides in this land. Its nature may be strange to me, but I see now I was wrong to condemn its people so thoroughly. I suppose the hearts of Men may be weakened and confused by the will of the Enemy in every land and we must all be on guard against his wiles together, lest we each fall separately. I have him to thank for showing me this -- and others as well." The glances of Lagodir and Nephyn met briefly, then the Gondorian followed after Ancthas. At the last moment he turned back to us.

"I will not say farewell to you, dearest friends," he said. "Who knows what lies ahead down these winding roads we each must travel? Perhaps we shall meet again in some time or place that none can yet see." And then he turned and was gone.

The rest of that day was a blur to me. Lagodir, Leofward, and Ancthas rode their horses swiftly south down the Great North Road back toward the Bonevales while Inar's company slowly packed up its equipment and began to move south-eastward into the hills. The five Outriders who remained made our way north down the slopes of Harndirion and toward the snow-capped mountains and that distant river. We did not really set out until quite late in the afternoon what with all the myriad preparations, and so we did not make it more than ten or fifteen miles before halting for the night.

The Company remained almost completely stone-silent all that time. Drodie had hummed a peculiar Dwarf-song for some of the way while Gaelira, Nephyn, and Minasse had chatted back and forth about our upcoming road. I paid little enough attention as I was feeling rather depressed about everything which had transpired. The most I was able to gather was that Gaelira was leading us north toward the river where she hoped to find some place to cross it before climbing up into the mountains in search of... well, I never really did hear what, exactly, and I was content to leave all such matters until the morning.

We made camp in the middle of some rowan-trees which grew in a clump amidst some large rocks. It was hard to make it out in the dusk, but we could just see the line of the river maybe three or four miles to the north. To the north and west, however, nestled up against the river, was a collection of huts wherein torches and bonfires burned in the gathering gloom. It was obviously a small Dunlending village, and we had every intention of skirting well to the east of it when day came again.

Supper was quiet and cheerless as we each dealt with our our inner thoughts. We lit no fire due to our proximity to the village -- we had no idea whether the inhabitants were friendly or otherwise, but there was no point in taking chances; after all, we were only five again, and Gaelira still had a wounded arm. The Elves remained seated cross-legged and speaking quietly while the rest of us gradually drifted off to sleep. The night-air seemed heavy and oppressive to me while thunder rumbled far off to the south.

In many of my favourite tales there are often stanzas which sing of the awful pain one feels at the loss of a comrade-in-arms. In fact, those lines are so common that I had long felt I understood (albeit distantly) what it must be like to experience it, but that day I realized I knew nothing of such grief. Even the passing of my dear old Dad wasn't quite the same (perhaps because it was at least somewhat expected), whereas this truly felt like losing part of myself. And even then I knew it was not the ultimate parting of ways, for of course Lagodir was still alive. All of these thoughts raced through my mind in the flash of an instant, and I remember thinking then that I'd really rather not know what it must be like to genuinely lose such a close friend for good and all.

Suddenly the weather took a nasty turn as an unseasonably cold wind blew in. I huddled under my blanket while the boughs creaked and groaned overhead. One can hear strange sounds when camping out-of-doors at such times, but I was quite certain that, more than once, I caught the faintest of sobs coming from where Nephyn lay, seemingly fast asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment