Monday, April 16, 2018

The Adventures of Elladan's Outriders -- Episode 61

A Deathly Secret

Sterday, 5th of Forelithe, Year 1417 Shire-reckoning
Somewhere in the Mines of Moria
Another clue left to us by Saxolf, Treasure-seeker
It was Gaelira, once again who roused us in the darkness. She had kept watch and tended our little camp-fire for roughly four hours while the rest of us rested, and now she urged us to make haste. What had given her cause to rush us so she would not say, but her voice sounded worrisome to me. During our hurried breakfast, she recounted what we had learned from the day before and also laid out what we hoped to accomplish today.

"Saxolf's scroll was cryptic, but I believe it gives us enough to go on as a start," she said. She spoke quickly, but whether it was excitement or fear I could not tell. "Begin at Durin's Vault. Let the Four Points guide you. We should start by locating Durin's Vault, then see what there is to see about these four points."

"And what about the runes?" asked Nephyn. "E, S, and W? Have you worked out what those might mean? It seems as if they could be the points of a compass, only N for north would be missing."

"The same thought had occurred to me," Gaelira replied, "But then there is also the strange, four-pointed star to consider. It may have something to do with the aforementioned 'four points' and it may not -- we shall have to view the proper place before the second half of the riddle can be made clear to us, I think. The sooner we begin, the better."

We did begin sooner. In a matter of minutes we were filing out of the Dwarf-library of Katub-zahar and hunting for Durin's Vault. We had no clear idea of where we were going, but we all had conjured images in our minds of what such a place might look like. I won't bore you with the details of that search, for it took hours: we climbed stairs and descended stairs. We slipped down piles of debris and clambered up rocky slopes. At one point we cautiously avoided what looked to be a goblin-den and (fortunately) were not detected in the process. Ever and anon we would halt to rest or to examine some side-passage or chamber, but we saw nothing that could possibly be mistaken for the vault of the King of the Dwarves of Moria in the days of its glory.

After a long time of this sort of thing, we came upon a major roadway which ran southward (as best as we could tell). Following this, we discovered it led directly into a large chamber which was littered with rubble and broken relics of all sorts. We took some time to examine the place, but it was Drodie who ended our search. He let out a cry of triumph and urged us to join him, which we did. He picked up a broken wall-plaque (similar to the one we had seen outside the Word-hoard of Durin) and showed it to us.

"Take heart, friends!" the Dwarf cheered. "We have found what we sought: this plaque reads: The Vault of Durin. We have found it!"

"Excellent!" said Gaelira. "Now, be swift: each of you search for anything that might be the Four Points mentioned in Saxolf's riddle."

This we did, but to no avail. The vault was dirty, dusty, and -- as we quickly realized -- not entirely stable. Small bits of debris would occasionally rain down on us from the ceiling. At first we didn't pay it much mind, but then there came a dull rumble and a whole chunk of stone crashed only feet from where Lagodir stood.

"We should probably not remain here any longer," the Gondorian said stoically. The five of us quickly retreated from the chamber.

"I hope we haven't left the next clue lying buried in there somewhere," said Nephyn. "Just when things were looking up for us, too."

"I do not think we are defeated just yet," said Gaelira. "The riddle said to begin here, which implies this is not where we will find what we are after. But what are the four points? I was hoping to discover something within the vault that would guide us."

"Perhaps we should have a look-about?" I suggested. "Maybe something will present itself."

Something did, as it turned out: not far at all from the crumbling vault we came upon a rather remarkable sight. It was a geode of immense size -- it had to have been at least eight feet tall -- and beautifully mounted upon a pedestal of stone and gold. The geode itself was partially exposed, and its insides glistened with innumerable amethysts. There were so many that, when our lantern came close enough, they captured and threw back its feeble light with a radiance and grandeur that stunned us all. As we stood there marvelling, Nephyn suddenly gave a cry.

"Look!" she said while pointing at the base of the geode. "On its pedestal!"

At first all I noticed was that the pedestal was adorned with lovely golden decorations. Then I saw those decorations included four arrows, each pointing away from the geode at right angles. Then, with a gasp, I realized each arrow was also adorned with a large rune-letter, made of amethyst: the letters N, W, S, and E!

"The Four Points!" I cheered. "The four points of the compass! It turns out we were right after all, though I'm still not sure why N was left out or what we're supposed to do now."

"Maybe N means north and that is the direction we should go?" mused Drodie. We attempted this, but heading north from that spot led us nowhere except to a rock-wall. We returned to the geode and its dazzling light display to ponder the riddle anew.

"What if E, S, and W were directions?" Nephyn asked. We agreed to try this theory as well.

Walking east of the geode, we came upon a flight of stairs. Having climbed these, we found ourselves on an elevated walkway which was lined with stone pillars. The way forward ended, and we could turn either north or south, so we went south. The path then turned west, and our spirits climbed.

But then the path abruptly ceased.

"A dead-end?" I asked in frustration. "Did we do something wrong?"

"I think not!" said Gaelira and I saw her gesture at something. Following her gaze, we saw that the bases of the pillars were adorned with a curious symbol: a small, four-pointed star! I cheered and clapped my hands.

"Well done, Gaelira! Now what?"

The she-Elf bent over and inspected each of the symbols closely. Then she used her finger to press on one, and it popped open like a locket on a hinge! Inside was a shallow compartment and a folded piece of paper.

"Ah, stellar work, Mistress!" I congratulated her. "But how did you know to try that one?"

"It was slightly more depressed into the stone than the others," came her answer. "I was expecting to find a mechanism of this sort: Dwarves seem to be fascinated by such things."

I retrieved the paper, unfolded it carefully, and read it aloud to the others.

I, Saxolf, have discovered the resting-place of the prized Shadow-stones (known as the gondath among the Elves)! They have lain hidden within Durin's Treasury for nearly four thousand years! 

It seems the genius of Falgeirr Twisttongue was employed by Durin in his wisdom to conceal these powerful artefacts and that he alone (aside from the King himself) knew the key to their recovery. Their location has been one of my people's most closely guarded secrets, but now, through what has been almost my entire life's pursuit, I have finally uncovered their whereabouts!

This knowledge would mean my swift and certain execution were any to learn of my discovery, but I cannot let my greatest triumph pass unheralded into the depths of Time. This is my legacy! I want someone to know that it was I, Saxolf, who solved the Twisttongue's greatest riddle! 

If you are following this trail, then understand that I, for my own safety, could not leave the location lying about openly stated -- hence these riddles. I beg your patience as you work your way through them and remember that it took me much longer than it could ever take you, for I had to find the riddles themselves AND solve them all on my own! I wish you luck on your quest.

Saxolf, Treasure-Seeker

"How exciting!" I said as the others crowded around me. "It's a treasure-hunt!"

"Indeed," said Gaelira, "But what about the next clue?"

"Oh, yes," I said, and held the letter up to Drodie's lantern again. "It says: Go north, to the Palace of Durin's Son. A dreadful leap ... the Fallen King ... search the bridge to carry on."

"Drodie, who was Durin's son?" I asked.

"That would be Nain the First," the Dwarf answered. "Like as not there is some structure or memorial to him somewhere within Moria."

"Somewhere nearby, it sounds to me," I said. "I suppose we only need to 'head north' and we'll find it eventually."

"Well, we certainly can't go north from where we are now," said Drodie. "Let us return to the main road!"

This we did and followed it northward. After a little while we came to a new, many-pillared building which was infested with a disgusting type of large insect Drodie called the gredbyg. I've never heard of their kind before and I hope I never see them again. Anyway, once we had cleared several of them out, we began to explore the ruins. We climbed one set of stairs which led us up to a new level, but then it ended suddenly: at some point in the distant past the stairs had fallen away, and now there was simply a gap into space with a tongue of stone thrust out into the open.

"Looks like we came the wrong way again," I muttered as we prepared to turn back.

"Maybe not," said Nephyn. "This would certainly be a dreadful leap, don't you think? Can anyone spy the bottom?"

We could not, but it was Gaelira who noticed a rock-slide off to our right which she managed to climb down with care. It wasn't long before she called back to us that she had reached the floor, and the rest of us carefully followed after her. Once we were all assembled, we searched the area a bit more and found the massive head of a stone carving which was lying and partially buried on the cavern floor. It was shaped in the likeness of a Dwarf's head, complete with a stone crown, and it looked to have been there for hundreds and hundreds of years.

"The Fallen King!" exclaimed Nephyn. "We must be on the right track. And listen! Can you not hear the rush of water? I think we are near to where we heard the cascades yesterday -- and if there is water there might very well be a bridge!"

It turned out there was, and it was a very impressive bit a stone-work too, like everything else we had seen in Moria. We spent a good deal of time poking and prodding various points on the bridge hoping to uncover another hidden compartment, but nothing presented itself. I tried to think through the riddle again, but I was becoming frustrated at the delay.

"We just have to keep searching," said Nephyn, trying to calm me down. "No doubt whatever it is we're looking for is here -- the riddle makes that plain enough. We just have to keep at it. No doubt it will appear obvious to us once we finally spot it."

"Wait..." I thought for a moment. "Neph, what if it isn't obvious?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, remember what Saxolf wrote in his last clue? He said he might be put to death if anyone were to learn that he had discovered where the gondath were being kept."

"Yes, I thought that was a bit odd," she replied, "But then again, Dwarves are known to be very protective of their rights and secrets."

"Just so," I continued. "If his life would be endangered by someone learning what he had found, then wouldn't he go out of his way to ensure his clues were not obvious? I mean, what if we're looking at this the wrong way?"

"What is buzzing about inside that little hobbit-head of yours?" the huntress asked me with a grin.

"Well, what if this bridge is too obvious?" I said. "I mean, there it was, right in front of us, right when we expected there to be a bridge... what if the riddle was referring to a different kind of bridge?"

"The Fallen King!" Nephyn cried with a laugh. "The bridge of his nose, you mean? It's worth a look, anyway -- that place is not far from here."

The others joined us as we doubled back to where the head of the Fallen King lay listing drunkenly to one side. With some difficulty, Nephyn and I clambered up the beard, onto the left cheek, and finally up on the stone nose. It wasn't long before we discovered a loose stone in the masonry! Under it, we found another little space which contained a folded piece of paper. I drew it forth and read:

Well done, brave treasure-seeker! Perhaps you will come to rival my own brilliance, but don't get too cocky just yet. Here is your next clue:

In Durin's Way, the High Stair beckons. To continue, you must steal a star of Khazad-dum.

Nephyn and I climbed down from the stone edifice to rejoin the others and I showed them what I had found. Drodie told us that Durin's Way was said among his people to be the grand highway which ran the length of Moria; it was on the upper levels of the kingdom and included several significant landmarks including the Dwarf-gardens of Tharakh-bazan.

"Gardens, in a place like this?" I asked, incredulous. "How could anyone possibly manage that?"

"In part with the right plants, but also with some clever engineering," Drodie responded. "Many Dwarf-holds would bore shafts into the rock for use as air-vents and light-sources. If done properly, I can see how you might be able to provide enough sunlight to maintain a garden under the earth."

"That sounds like it would be a sight to see," I said with a smile.

"And perhaps our search will take us there," added Gaelira. "Lead the way, Master Dwarf!"

Drodie led us as best as he knew how, always choosing paths which seemed to be rising and leading north. Our spirits rose as we continued, for we could see a faint daylight growing ahead -- apparently Drodie's information about the light-sources was correct, and soon we all blinked in the dim light. Eventually, we found ourselves on what seemed to be a roadway of importance, and we followed this for a long while. After some time, we happened upon a side-passage which featured a wall-plaque that remained in pristine condition. Drodie translated its carving to read Hall of the High Stair, so we quickly passed inside.

That hall did indeed contain a high stairway, of which we began at the head. Descending that stair brought us to a broad chamber and we explored it thoroughly, but we could find nothing resembling the star of Khazad-dum referenced in Saxolf's latest clue.

"Perhaps whatever this star is, or was, has been removed by plundering Orcs?" Gaelira suggested.

"It's beginning to look that way," I agreed with a sigh. "Why, there's naught here to speak of, really, except this little pool of water. I suppose it was placed here as something to admire, and it is lovely in its own way, but I don't see how a reflecting pool could pass for a star. Unless..." Everyone looked at me as I cocked my head to one side.

"What is it?" asked Nephyn as she looked around. I continued to stare into the water.

"Drodie," I said, "Would you mind raising your lantern a bit?" The Dwarf obliged me and everyone gasped: there, in the little pool of water, flashed many shimmering glints of light, like minute stars! We looked up and saw near us a stone pedestal which held a number of clear white crystals that was being reflected in the water. Drodie's light played off those luminous formations so that our eyes were dazzled.

"How lovely!" I said. "But I thought everyone was convinced the Orcs had stolen everything in these caves which had any value?"

"What, those?" asked Drodie in surprise. "Those crystals have no value -- they are as common as pebbles. My people use them to bring illumination in the dim places of our kingdoms for, as you can see, they divide and throw back light in the most marvellous way."

"I suppose it all depends on how you define the word value," I said. "Neph! Are you able to reach them?"

The huntress stretched as high as she could and plucked one of the beautiful gems off the pedestal. The stone basin rose slightly and there was a mechanical click! Suddenly, the water drained out of the little pool right in front of us. It slowly trickled away until the basin was dry. Upon inspection, we discovered one of the tiles which had previously been covered by the water was etched with four signs: a K-rune, an I-rune, an NG-rune, and a strange symbol of crossed bars, slightly set apart from the other three (I have traced a copy of it at the beginning of this entry).

"Here again we have only these runes to go by," said Gaelira as she studied the floor-tile. "And once again that last symbol is separated from the others and is no letter or rune with which I am familiar."

"King..." Nephyn mused quietly. "And a cross. King's Crossing? Is there such a place somewhere in Moria with that name, Drodie?"

"Durin's Crossing?" said the Dwarf after thinking a moment. "Not that I ever heard, but if your guess is right then it shouldn't be too hard to find: we need merely search for a major intersection of roads. Like as not we'll find just such a spot somewhere in Durin's Way."

We returned to the main road once again and followed it further north. The road then turned either east or west, but the western way was blocked by a nest of goblins, so we turned eastward. This way continued for a time, and we saw several points of intersection with other roads, but none of them seemed to be a way-meeting of sufficient importance. Finally, we entered a broad area which was quite well-lit from the light-shafts above us. Four roads met there, and we found another wall-plaque which declared that spot to be none other than Durin's Crossing.

Elated, we began our search. This time it was less than half an hour (thanks, in no small part to the fact we could see properly) before we discovered what we needed. In the south-eastern corner of the chamber stood another pedestal which held a number of large, orange-coloured crystals. Gaelira's sharp eyes noticed that one of the small stone ornamentations on the base was on a hinge. She swung it open to reveal another small compartment and another piece of paper, which read:

Don't give up now, you are nearly finished! Here is your next clue:

Continue eastward until you stand at my feet. North, then west, until you find my favourite pool. Explore the colours -- only through death can you hope to uncover my treasures.

"Only through death...?" I gulped. "I don't like the sound of that one bit!"

"Hopefully it does not really mean what it seems to say," said Gaelira, "Not unlike the previous riddles. Come, let us continue eastward."

We followed the road to the east again. The light was rapidly growing around us and we could hear the sound of running water somewhere up ahead. A very short time later we emerged into an incredible place: the Sun was shining (it was actually still rather dim, but to our eyes it seemed spectacularly bright), waterfalls were plashing, and we were surrounded by trees, shrubs, flowers, and plants of all kinds!

"Behold, Tharakh-bazan, the Garden of Kings!" said Drodie with a broad smile. "My heart rejoices to look upon the wonders of my ancestors. What a tale this will make when next I journey home to the Blue Mountains!"

"I think we could all say the same," said Lagodir as he looked around, "No matter what land we might chance to call home." I was relieved to hear the Gondorian speak: he had been very quiet ever since entering Moria and I was worried he might be finding his own internal battles made the more difficult in the darkness. Here, with the Sun playing on the leaves and streams around us, he seemed to be in much better spirits.

A little further on, in the garden's very centre, we saw a towering stone Dwarf-king. We decided this was what Saxolf meant when he said stand at my feet, so we began to search to the north and west. It wasn't long before we found a tranquil little pond, complete with flowered water-lilies and a couple of over-hanging trees.

"This certainly seems to be the place referenced in the last clue," I said. "But now we should explore the colours, right? What on earth does that mean?"

"It means that, most likely," said Nephyn. She was pointing at a bizarre-looking plant off to the right which stood only a few feet from the water's edge. Almost six feet tall, it was a peculiar combination of pink, green, yellow, orange, and light blue, such that you weren't quite sure whether it looked beautiful or sickly. The leaves were long and thick, and they were bunched up while pointing upward, as if it was an enormous flower waiting to bloom. Right away, the first impression I got was one of danger.

"Do you suppose we have to deal with that thing?" I asked, pensively. "Something about it seems... off to me."

"It's definitely the most colourful thing around," said Nephyn as she examined the plant. "And look here! I can see something wedged inside of it! You can see for yourself -- between the leaves." I went over to have a look.

"I see it too," I said after a moment. "It looks like a small container of some sort... It's a good ways in there: I don't think my arms are quite long enough to reach it."

"That is just as well," said Gaelira as she pulled me back from the plant. "Remember what the riddle said? Only through death can you hope to uncover my treasures? We should not take the chance that this growth might be poisonous."

"Nor need we," said Drodie as he unbelted his axe. "One side, Elf! And you too, young Nephyn -- I wouldn't want you to be in the way of my swing! I'll have this weed down in two shakes of my beard." We all stood back to give him room.

Thwump! Thwump! Each blow sounded like he was kicking a bladder full of tar, and the strikes simply glanced off the rubbery foliage. First Nephyn then Lagodir also lent their strength to the task, but without success. After several minutes of this, all three had to pause for breath. There were only a few tiny scorings on the plant which bore witness to my friends' attacks.

"We'll be here until the very mountains themselves fall in on us at this rate," moaned Drodie as he leaned on his axe-haft. "Is there no other way to reach that infernal thing?"

"Where brawn has failed, let us give brains a try," said Gaelira. Lifting her staff, she attempted to probe inside the plant and lift the item from its resting place. This was quickly proved hopeless, however, as the item turned out to be a rounded glass phial which could not be gripped or controlled by Gaelira's stick in any way. Following this, we attempted several other potential remedies (even to the point of scaling a nearby tree and trying to reach down into the plant from above), but with no luck. Finally, in frustration, Nephyn simply shoved her way up to the thing.

"I've about had my fill of this," she said through gritted teeth, "I'll play the Dwarf's silly game."

With that, she thrust her arm deep into the leaves and winced in pain. When she drew her hand back, I saw her arm had been pierced many times by some unseen barbs and she was bleeding, but not badly. In her fist she clasped the glass phial, and there was a note tied around it. I don't think I had ever seen her do anything more brave in all the time I had known her.

"Neph!" I cried as I rushed to her. "Are you alright?"

"My arm," she said as she sank to the ground, her face already quite pale. "It's going numb. No doubt the thing is poisonous."

"Oh, no!" I wailed and I fumbled at my pack for some bandages. "Quickly, we should wash the wound."

"What about the paper?" asked Nephyn weakly. "What does it say?"

"Oh, bother that!" I said. "You just lie still and we'll get you well first."

"I think we should do as she says," said Gaelira calmly. I looked at her, then seized the phial and tore the note from the string which bound it in place to read these words:

You have proven yourself worthy -- only someone as dedicated as I would be willing to risk the poisons of the amradush, the "death-root!"

Fortunately for you, the flask in your hand contains the antidote that will save your life. 

"Oh, thank Heavens!" I exclaimed as I uncorked the phial. It contained a pungent yellow ooze, but I forced Nephyn to swallow the whole thing. She coughed and wretched a bit, but she soon fell silent and the colour began returning to her cheeks.

"I do hope she'll be alright," I said as tears began to fill my eyes.

"I feel better already," Nephyn said with a smile. "Just give me another moment or two."

"That was a valiant deed, lassie," said Drodie with a bow. "Of the sort that would make any Dwarf proud to call you friend."

"Where both brawn and brains failed us, raw courage has won the day!" said Gaelira as she grinned. It is as well none of us recognized the plant or perhaps we would have never dared such a feat. On the other hand, something tells me this Saxolf would never have really wanted to kill whoever was on his trail -- he seemed to enjoy having an audience, even if he himself was not around to see it."

"Speaking of which," Lagodir chimed in, "Does the note leave us another clue?"

"Erm, yes, in fact it does," I said as I re-examined the letter. "Here is what it says..."

I will not toy with you any longer, brave treasure-seeker, so drink up and solve my final challenge:

Continue south, past my feet again, then east until you reach the Hall of Glass. The King watches over an amaranthine resting place. Like begets like, and key begets key.

"Past my feet again?" Drodie mused. "That's clear enough: we should head back to the south past the statue of the king we saw earlier. Then we strike eastward until we find this Hall of Glass. That will most likely be a place with many of the shining crystals we have seen already, it seems to me."

"I'm not moving an inch until Neph feels well enough to continue," I huffed. "Besides, isn't it about time for lunch?"

"I'm glad to know my welfare scores higher than lunch with you, Padryc," Nephyn groaned, though she was laughing as she spoke. "If only just! But I am feeling better. I believe a short rest and a bite will do me a world of good, however."

We shared first a hearty laugh and then a hearty meal together. The brightness of the Moria-gardens and the passing of immediate danger had lifted our mood considerably -- even Lagodir was in excellent spirits. Very quickly, however, the light began to dim somewhat as the Sun passed the noon hour and no longer shone directly down the air-shafts. By then, Nephyn was feeling quite herself again, so we allowed ourselves only a brief rest before resuming our mission.

We returned to the statue in the midst of the gardens then struck south and east. The pathways of Tharakh-bazan were well-laid and easy to traverse, but even so our going was slowed. Not by any adversity, mind you, but simply by the beauty of that subterranean wonder. There were limpid pools as smooth as slate, hanging trees, and colourful shrubs, all thriving and growing beneath the mountain's vaulted dome. Every now and then we would stumble upon curiously designed mirrors, the purpose of which seemed to be directing and re-directing the Sun to ensure the plants always received sufficient light to maintain life there under the stone. The entire place was truly a marvel -- a testament to the genius of Durin's Folk.

Very soon, however, the plant-life gave way to another area of pillared stone. There was no doubt we had found the Hall of Glass mentioned in Saxolf's last riddle, for the place was positively packed with crystals and glass-shards of all shapes and sizes. We saw many expertly poised on stone pedestals and packing braziers everywhere -- even many hanging from the ceiling like chandeliers! -- and they were of all colours; pink, orange, red, yellow, purple, green, and gold, just to name a few.

"Why, it's like watching a fireworks show!" I exclaimed as we all stood and gaped at the view. "Only, these fireworks don't ever go out. Who'd have ever thought I'd see such a thing in my life!"

"These are the works of my people in their days of peace and plenty," said Drodie, and I thought I caught only the tiniest hint of a quaver in his voice as he spoke. "Never again shall we rival such triumphs! It pains my heart that wonders like these must be left to the defilement of the Orcs."

"And yet there is no sign of their defilement, not here at least," said Lagodir as he looked about. "In fact, both this hall and the gardens behind us seem to have escaped the wrath of the Foul Folk almost entirely. Perhaps they do not understand how the mirrors reflect the Sun's radiance and so they live in fear of it."

"That may well be," said Gaelira. "But what is our next step? I believe the riddle's second line was: the king watches over an amaranthine resting-place."

"This Saxolf chap rather likes his kings, doesn't he?" I laughed. "Are we looking for a tomb, then? Amaranthine is, of course, simply another name for lavender or purple."

"Like that, do you think?" asked Nephyn as she pointed into the distance. There, some way ahead, we saw a relief carving of yet another likeness of Durin, Father of the Dwarves, etched into the wall. Just before it stood a massive stone pedestal which was brimming with an array of gorgeous purple crystals.

"Not exactly what resting-place had me thinking of," I admitted, "But maybe he meant a resting-place for the crystals? Either way, it seems to fit, so I suppose we should go take a closer look."

Our closer look revealed we were probably onto something. Near the base (and cleverly hidden around the back) of the pedestal we found a strange little contraption which appeared to be some sort of locking mechanism. It was shaped like a wheel, but there was a kind of length-wise impression down the centre of the circle, as though a rod or thick dowel was meant to be inserted there.

"Now, what on earth are we supposed to do here?" I asked. "It will be the last straw if we have to go traipsing all over Moria looking for some key to fit this thing."

"I doubt that," said Gaelira. "Thus far, Saxolf's puzzles have all been solvable with nothing but what we had available to us at the time and place we found them. There is no reason to suspect this one will be different. Let us think back to the riddle: Like begets like, and key begets key."

"What about this?" asked Nephyn. She dug into her pocket and produced the small crystal she had taken from near the draining pool back in the Hall of the High Stair.

"Well!" I cheered, "Neph's natural pat-rack tendencies just might prove useful for once. Try it and see if it works!"

It did not. The small, white crystal was rather too large and too long to fit into the lock, so the huntress shrugged and stowed her prize away again.

"I'm actually glad it didn't fit, if I'm honest," she said with a smile. "It's an excuse to not have to give up my little souvenir. But what now?"

"Like begets like," Drodie chanted as he stared up at the enormous collection of purple crystals in front of us. He then surveyed the area around us, squinting as he peered off into the distance.

"What about those?" he asked suddenly and pointed to the south. "Do you see what I see?"

We looked. A short ways off, there was a dais of stone steps surrounded by four pedestals, each holding more of the coloured crystals. They were all lovely to gaze upon, but one thing caught my eye: of the four sets of crystals, three were orange in hue, but the fourth was of amethyst.

We rushed down the hallway to examine the fourth basin. After clambering up the pedestal, Nephyn fished around with her hand and quickly produced a purple gem which looked to be just the right size! We raced back to the circular mechanism and tried inserting the crystal.

It fit! Gaelira gave it a sharp quarter-turn to the left and there was a loud clack. Then, slowly, a rectangular stone emerged from underneath the giant pedestal, as if being driven by some machine. It was about four or five feet in length and three or so feet wide, and there were deeply carven runes adorning the stone lid. Drodie leaned over them and translated for us:

Here lies Falgeirr Twisttongue, Riddle-master.

"Ha ha!" I cheered and danced a little jig in my happiness. "So it is a real 'resting-place' after all! And key begets key! No doubt the key to whatever chamber holds the gondath lies in here, buried with the Dwarf who was charged with maintaining their secrecy!"

"Well, normally I wouldn't hold with disturbing the bones of my long-dead kin," said Drodie with a grimace, "But under the circumstances I suppose we have no choice. Let's have that lid off -- come, Lagodir: you and I together ought to manage it."

The two of them carefully lifted the cover and placed it gently on the floor. Inside the crypt lay the bones of a Dwarf who we could only assume must have at one time been the legendary Falgeirr Twisttongue. We searched his resting-place thoroughly before Gaelira finally noticed something around the skeleton's neck. It was a small, finely polished rune-stone, deep-green in colour, with a single word engraved upon it. Gaelira (very respectfully) removed the necklace and handed it to Drodie, whose brows knitted together in confusion.

"It only says Zirup," he reported with a baffled look. "That would be end, completed, to finish, or something of that nature. What sort of mockery is this? I had never believed the tales that Falgeirr delighted in driving those who sought to solve his riddles to madness, but I do now! Why, if I do not tear out my beard right here where I stand it shall be a marvel!" He flung the necklace at Gaelira in anger as if the thing was cursed, and the Elf deftly caught it in one hand.

"Leave your beard in place for now, Master Dwarf," said Gaelira with a chuckle. "I suspect your face is more comely with it intact. But also, you forget we are not dealing with Falgeirr, your famed riddle-master of yore. These puzzles were the work of Saxolf, who had solved Falgeirr's riddles himself and wished others to know of it some day, though he himself would not live to see the time."

"What should we do then?" Nephyn asked her.

"I think," said Gaelira wistfully, as if she were casually pondering the question, "That we should take a look at this." She held out her hand. There, on her palm, we saw Falgeirr's necklace, but it was upside-down. On its reverse, as if scratched in by a crude chisel, were two words:

Undu Zirak-zigil

"Under Zirak-zigil!" shouted Drodie. "Under the Silvertine! That is one of the three Mountains of Moria -- the one in which we currently stand, unless I am much mistaken. We need only search downward! There must be a path which leads into the roots, for it has long been told that the richest veins of mithril were ever found beneath the Cloudyhead."

"Wait a minute," I said, and I cocked an eyebrow at the Elf. "How did you know there was something written on the back of that rune-stone?"

"Because I felt the etchings when I caught it," came her smiling reply, "After Drodie so politely lent it to me mere moments ago. Friend Dwarf, I think perhaps it fitting that you keep this bauble with you in case we should need it again later. You have my assurances it will not drive you to distraction." Drodie accepted the necklace back, but none too happily, it seemed to me.

"Well, it seems we are victorious, at least to some extent," I said. "We have not yet found the gondath themselves, but apparently we know where to begin looking for them."

"Sort of," Nephyn frowned. "'Under Zirak-zigil' isn't exactly a precise location, is it? I can't help thinking we might do better if we had a map, or at least some idea of what we are looking for."

"As to that," said Gaelira, "I have been giving that very thing a great deal of thought while we were searching and I believe I could hazard a guess. Saxolf wrote that he would have been put to death had his discovery become known. His discovery of what? Why, the Shadow-stones, of course... or so we thought. After all, are they not the object of our own efforts? But those gems, rare and valuable though they are, were hardly the most precious of things kept within the vaults of Durin, King of the Dwarves, richest and mightiest lord of all Western lands. Moreover, Saxolf himself had already divulged the location of the gondath to us in his very first missive. Do you remember? They have lain hidden within Durin's Treasury for more than four thousand years, he said. It was his discovery of the entrance and key to Durin's Treasury, not the Shadow-stones, that so imperiled his life! And so it is we now know what we must seek: the secret treasury of the Dwarves, concealed deep within the roots of Celebdil -- the final phase of our quest."

"Aye, if we can find it," countered Drodie. "Like as not the entrance will not simply be out in the open for anyone to see."

"Key begets key," Gaelira replied. "I expect the answer to that question will be found on or in that rune-stone of yours, when the time is right. But first we must find the doors."

With that settled, we spent the rest of the day retracing our steps and searching for downward paths that might lead us to the lodes beneath the Silvertine. I felt a distinct twinge of regret as I left the bright upper halls of Durin's Way and descended once again into the smothering and stagnant darkness of the Mines.

No comments:

Post a Comment