Sunday, January 7, 2018

The Adventures of Elladan's Outriders -- Episode 47.1

Reflection and Reconnaissance 

Mersday, 23rd of Rethe, Year 1418 Shire-reckoning
The Refuge of Gath Forthnir, Somewhere in the Land of Angmar
Carn Dum, as seen from a distance
I must begin by immediately telling you that this is Nephyn writing today's journal entry. Padryc is not well, and so I have taken this task unto myself for the time being.  If nothing else, it does help me pass the time while I keep watch over him, but I will try to relate everything as it happened. It will be a fitting tribute to our dear friend, should the worst befall him. Lagodir and I are not certain whether he will recover, but we hold out hope. If only Gaelira were here.

I suppose it's already obvious I don't possess Padryc's ability to write things down in some kind of logical order, so I will just begin at the beginning and go from there.

This morning I awoke suddenly and I was very alert, as if I was being called for some purpose. I am normally an early riser anyway, but today was different. Perhaps I somehow knew that today was going to be a dangerous one, but... there I go jumping around again. Let me start over.

Gath Forthnir was very quiet when I opened my eyes. I was rather tired last night, for we were up later than usual, and I welcomed the opportunity to grab some sleep. Drodie had passed out from drinking too much ale, Lagodir and Padryc were already asleep, and Gaelira was off doing whatever it is Gaelira always does in the early hours -- speaking with Maerchiniath, no doubt. Anyway, when I woke I saw she was in conversation with Lagodir and Drodie, while Padryc was still asleep. We decided to let him rest a bit longer while we held counsel among ourselves.

Gaelira told us the Rangers were fast becoming desperate, for the environs had grown more and more dangerous of late. Maerchiniath was preparing a party of foragers to venture out and scavenge the land about for any edible foodstuffs or other items which might be of use to them. Unfortunately, the number of warriors available to defend the foragers has been decreasing from repeated clashes with the Enemy, and so Maerchiniath asked if Drodie and Gaelira might lend their skills to their defence, and of course they had agreed to do so. Not wanting to slow the progress of our own mission, however, we decided it would be best if Lagodir, Padryc, and I were to try and scout the outlying regions of Carn Dum while the Dwarf and the Elf were away on their duty. With a little luck, we might be able to descry some unguarded entrance into the evil city, and of course this would make things much better for us once the time came to infiltrate that awful place.

Having discussed all of this, we bade Gaelira and Drodie farewell as they departed with the Rangers. Lagodir and I went over our stores and replenished a few items on which we were running low before Padryc finally roused himself some time later. By then it may have been roughly half past eight in the morning. We explained the whole situation to him, including how the three of us would be prodding the edges of Carn Dum to see if we could find a safe passage within to use later. The hobbit wasn't thrilled with the idea, of course, but he seemed to be in very good spirits and took it all in casually. I remarked that he was rather calm about it, but he only laughed.

"I'm downright terrified," he said, "But I'm sure I'll be perfectly safe so long as I'm with you two. I'll do whatever I can to help."

"We shall see how stealthy a Halfling and a Man of Gondor can be," I said. "And we should take great care as we leave Gath Forthnir to ensure we are not marked by any spies."

"It's a remarkable place, isn't it?" Padryc asked as he looked around. We three admired the waterfall once again as it continued its unending cascade into the pool which graced the centre of those caverns. "Judging from the crumbled walls and stone archways you find in here, you must suppose this was once some sort of building, or maybe a fortress; but that would have to have been quite some time ago by the look of it."

"For myself, I wonder what is the source of the water," I said as we watched. "To say nothing of where it goes: there must be some outlet, somewhere, which ensures this place does not flood. And how odd that there would be such a large amount of drinkable water in a place like this."

"No doubt that had a lot to do with why the Rangers decided to fortify it," said Lagodir pragmatically. "Though of course they had other reasons as well."

"An underground waterfall," Padryc said, a look of childish wonder in his eyes. "How lucky I am to have seen such a thing! I'll not deny that, when I saw it for the first time, I thought just how excellent it would be to have a waterfall built into a hobbit-hole! But then, just think what it would do to the flooring!" We all laughed.

Soon after we assembled our gear and departed the caves. We descended the rocky pathway and were very deliberate to ensure we were well-hidden as we emerged from the hillside. We set our bearings to head west, then struggled over some difficult terrain as we continued on our way.

"I'd hate to think what might happen if Angmar were to learn of Gath Forthnir's location," said Padryc as we crept along. "I expect they must guard its secret closely to keep it hidden the way it is."

"Aye, and they only leave it when the need is very great," said Lagodir. "They owe their lives and their continued resistance of the Enemy to holding that secret."

"I just hope that strange Woman we supposedly 'rescued' yesterday did not track us here," I said. "Though I was very careful to keep my eyes open for anyone trailing us. Still, the visibility around here is not the best, particularly at night."

"I was thinking about her last night as well," said Padryc. "Thank goodness we were able to escape those ruffians who set on us! I wish she hadn't run off -- there's no telling where she is now or whether she's all right."

"I wouldn't worry about her," I said with a wry smile. "I'm sure she's just fine -- aside from whatever punishment her superiors dealt her for failing to kill us off with that little ambush of hers."

"You don't mean to say that attack was a trap and she was the bait?!" Padryc exclaimed. "How rude!"

"I'm afraid so," I replied. "Otherwise she would have done as you suggest and stayed near to us for protection. I think more is known about us and our movements than we would like."

"Yes," agreed Lagodir. "Our danger increases with every step we take toward Carn Dum. But we must not forget Wenhair and her allies. We fooled her back in Ered Luin and bought ourselves some time, but I suspect by now she has realized her error. I would not be at all surprised to learn she had some part to play in yesterday's little escapade."

"Personally, I think that Woman was Wenhair," I said. "And if I ever see her again I will be sure to find out -- after I run her through, that is."

"No, I do not think that was Wenhair herself," the Gondorian replied. "She would have had no need for such a ruse, for she is a highly skilled warrior. And remember what she thought of Drodie's feint in the battle with Brullug? She openly spurned the idea of using deceit as a fighting tactic."

"But she's also a cheat and a liar herself," Padryc chimed in.

"I suppose you may have a point there," Lagodir conceded (and I was inclined to agree!). "Still, the customs and teachings of these Wild Men are beyond the reach of my understanding at times. In Gondor we call them Men of the Darkness to distinguish them from the High Men -- those who are of Numenorean descent. There are also the Middle Men, or Men of the Twilight, such as our comrades-in-arms, the Rohirrim. I only mean to say that the patterns of other cultures often do have a certain logic to them, though strange and even uncouth they may seem to outsiders."

"What do you make of these folk at Gath Forthnir, then?" Padryc asked, who sounded eager (I thought) to turn the subject away from the Lossoth-woman. "They seem rather... different from the inhabitants of Esteldin. To me, at least."

"They are a hardy people; even the Rangers among them are more grim-faced and dour-handed than their Southern brothers," he answered. "I admire their determination -- in Gondor, where all serve the Lord Denethor as Steward of the Realm, hearts can still waver and hope sometimes grows dim. But here in the North, where there has been no king for centuries beyond count? Theirs is a remarkable story."

"There is some chieftain who leads them, from what I understand," I said. "He goes by Strider, but I can't recall his true name. Gaelira spoke with him briefly in a chance meeting at the Prancing Pony some months ago, but the rest of us never met him. He must be an inspiring leader to command the loyalties of so many, especially in the face of such terrible odds."

"The valour of Numenor will not be so easily extinguished," said Lagodir proudly. "Even here, in this forsaken land, the Enemy is harried by the gallantry of my people. Isildur it was who brought the Dark Lord's last empire to ruin, and he has not forgotten it."

"I don't know that being the focus of the Dark Lord's hatred is an honour I'd care to have," said Padryc grimly. "Besides, I always thought it was the Elves he particularly despised."

"Sauron despises everyone and everything that is not himself or of his own making," the Gondorian replied. "But many of the Elves he has either slain or driven across the Sea with his persecution, and so they are unable to resist him as mightily as they used."

"And it seems they can be split in their loyalty at times," I said ruefully. "I wish Raviron and Luean were still with us."

"Who is Raviron?" asked Lagodir.

"Oh, he was an Elf that went about with us for a brief time when we had all first met back in Afteryule," Padryc replied. "Good chap, though a bit flighty. Handy with a bow, anyway."

"But then he felt the call of the Sea and he left us," I said, "Just like that."

"I wonder what old Luean is up to?" Padryc asked. "I miss him a great deal -- especially here. He always could make me laugh."

"I suppose all of the Elder Kindred will take to the Sea one day," said Lagodir.

"But Gaelira and Luean have not," I countered. "Though she feels that pull keenly as well. Didn't you notice how she refused to look toward the harbour of the Grey Havens when we passed within sight of it?"

"I remember!" said Padryc. "She seems determined to see through whatever it is she remains here for, and I for one am glad of it. Maybe one day she'll be free to take that road; much has changed just in the short time we've known each other, and much more is yet to change, I suppose. Why, think about how changed we all are! Remember how close Gaelira and Drodie used to be? And even Lagodir discovered he has a sense of humour buried somewhere under all that muscle."

"Time is the destroyer of all walls," Lagodir said with a shrug.

"Truly spoken! It makes me wonder what comes next," I mused. "I mean, what happens if we succeed in this quest, reclaim the palantir, escape to Rivendell, and everything turns out just as we hope? What then?"

"I will probably look into a quiet retirement in Rivendell, like old Mr. Bilbo," said Padryc. "I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be, and I doubt there'd be much left for me in the Shire anyhow."

"Do you not think yourself a bit young to be contemplating retirement?" Lagodir chuckled. "Are you not less than half the old hobbit's age?"

"Well, Mr. Bilbo is what now? One hundred and twenty-something? Twenty-eight?" Padryc thought aloud. "I remember his great birthday feast was his eleventy-first birthday. But he is remarkably well-preserved -- even for one of his family."

"As for me," I said as I continued to scan the landscape before us, "I plan to track down my mother and then my father, if I can. Though I expect that will take some doing."

"I certainly hope you get the chance," said Padryc kindly, "And that you find what you seek. But look! We have come to the outskirts of this great city and should begin to take care."

We had crossed a rather hilly region then skirted around the edge of a broad lake. After weaving our way through many crags and rock formations, we suddenly found ourselves on a wide plain which rose steadily toward a low mountain. Perched atop it we could see a terrifying and powerfully fortified structure -- Carn Dum. It was mostly built of stone, but in many places I could see various iron reinforcements and additions of masonry while the dark skies combined with eerie lights from within to give the fortress a ghoulish look. It was an altogether intimidating sight, even for me, and it looked impossible to enter it without being seen by the countless sentries which no doubt patrolled its walls. Still, we had to make the effort and find some way in.

I led the others stealthily from cover to cover as we approached the city. There were many huts, tents, shantys, and camps everywhere, but we stayed well out of sight by flitting from stone to brush and back to stone again. Nearly every movement we made was carefully planned and executed, so we avoided detection for a long while, but it was nerve-wracking and exhausting work. We followed one track which seemed to lead in the direction we desired, but ultimately we found ourselves checked by a huge gate of iron and could proceed no further.

Forced to double back, we eventually found another path. It had seen heavy use, and that did not bode well for us, but it was only lightly guarded and had no apparent physical obstructions. The road into it plunged down into a gorge, and coming from down there we could hear the shouting of captains, the tromping of feet, the clash of weapons, and the bellow of trolls. It sounded as though an entire army lived down that way, and yet it clearly led toward Carn Dum and might serve our purpose. We decided to return to Gath Forthnir with news of our discovery.

That is when things went terribly wrong. I don't know how it happened and I hope my friends can forgive me, but we turned round a corner of rock and suddenly found ourselves face-to-face with a patrol of Hillmen! There were five of them and only three of us, but I shot one through the eye as he gave the alarm and Lagodir was quickly at work on two more. The fourth engaged me sword-to-sword, but the fifth and last somehow found his way to Padryc.

I don't have the hobbit's flair for describing battles, so I won't attempt it. When it was over, the five Hillmen lay dead while Lagodir and I were unscathed. The same could not be said of our Halfling, however: although he had taken no notice of it, I saw a bloody gash on his arm. That fifth Hillman had been armed with a short bow of bone and a crude dagger made after the fashion of his tribe; at some point he must have landed a blow.

"Let's halt for a moment," I urged the others, "And see if we can't field-dress this wound. Lagodir, keep watch for a moment, will you?"

"I will do as you ask," answered the soldier, "But make haste: others are sure to come ere much time passes." I nodded and started to bandage the hobbit's arm. The cut was clean and it was not deep, but it was bloody -- even at first glance I knew my needle and thread would be called for, but first we needed to get out of that place.

"Hold still," I instructed Padryc, "And don't look at it -- that will only make things worse." Of course, he completely ignored me.

"Good Heavens!" the hobbit exclaimed with wide eyes. "I didn't even notice that I was hurt in all the commotion. I guess that big brute got a swipe on me despite all I could do with my shield. It's a good thing Lagodir was there take care of him or it might have been worse than this."

"Can you walk?" I asked. It was a silly question, looking back on it now, but I was genuinely concerned for my little friend.

"Of course I can walk!" he huffed back at me. "What a question! I got a scratch on my arm; I didn't have my legs lopped off."

"That is well," came Lagodir's hushed voice, "For more of the Enemy are on their way here. We must go -- now."

And so we went. The bandage I had contrived was decent enough, as things go, but I knew the wound was going to need proper treatment to staunch the bleeding. We moved quickly but warily, and all the while I could sense that we were taking too long. Over the past few months I have learned first-hand that hobbits have a remarkable constitution, but every body has its limits...

We re-traced our steps back to the entrance of Gath Forthnir. My one thought at that time was to ascend the path up the hillside and get our friend the rest and medical attention he obviously needed, but Fate seemed to have other plans for us. We had just found the pool of still water which marked the beginnings of the path up to the Rangers' encampment, and Padryc's face visibly brightened.

"I don't think I've ever been so happy to see a smelly pool of rancid water," he said. "Come on! Let's see if Gaelira and Drodie have returned yet."

"Padryc, STOP!" I seized him by the shoulder and held him from going any further.

Just at the base of the mountain where the road to Gath Forthnir began I saw an object, partly concealed under a scraggly bush, which had not been there earlier in the day. At first I thought it was a lump of rock, possibly fallen from the cliffs above, but after staring at it for a few seconds it took a horrifying shape. It was the body of a Man, and it was face-down in the dirt. Very slowly, as if in defiance of the sight which lay clear before me, my mind recognized the garb of that Man.

"No!" I said, but it was only a whisper. "Not Areneth..."

It was. The once cheery, loyal, and kind-hearted doorward of Gath Forthnir lay dead in a great pool of his own blood. His face, mercifully, was turned away from us, but even at that short distance I knew I was right. The others must have recognized him as well, for Padryc removed his hat and Lagodir bowed his head in mourning. Tears sprang unlooked-for into my eyes, but I brushed them away; if the Rangers' secret refuge had been found at last... The moment demanded discipline and focus. Summoning all my training I looked again, and I could see the ground beneath the corpse growing darker by the second. I caught my breath: this murder was recent. In fact, the killer was probably watching us at that very moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment